Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Can anyone tell me about this helmet?

Article about: Hi all, new to these forums... Was pointed in this direction from another forum in relation to this helmet in the links. I got it from a relative that had no idea where it came from. From wh

sugarman
    ?

Default Can anyone tell me about this helmet?

Hi all, new to these forums... Was pointed in this direction from another forum in relation to this helmet in the links.

I got it from a relative that had no idea where it came from.

From what i've found out so far, its a WWII Air Raid Precaution (ARP)Warden helmet.

And from that i'm guessing, it would have been British & issued to the Irish during WWII, prob 1940'ish?

I read somewhere that a white bar underneeth the 'W' means it's a senior wardens helmet. Mine has a green bar, any idea what that means?

lastly, what sort of price would this go for? The owner said i could either keep it or sell it on & split whatever its worth.

If i keep it, it'll only go on a wall or sit under the bed. I'd like to see it go to someone who would use it or just in general appreciate it.

Im thinking €30-40 maybe? Going by past ebay auctions. But i dont know.

Any help appreciated lads, would love to know anything else about it.

If anyones interested in it too, just let me know!

Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone tell me about this helmet?   Can anyone tell me about this helmet?  

?

Default Re: Can anyone tell me about this helmet?

Hi,
    Looks like a standard British MkII helmet, probably dated 39-40. Have a look by the chin strap securing lugs to see if there is a date, also on the cross straps on the liner, most times it's dated there. I have'nt seen a wardens helmet before with a line underneath the W, could be peculiar to Ireland. Nice to see something with thats not the norm.
    Aaron

sugarman
    ?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Hi,
    Looks like a standard British MkII helmet, probably dated 39-40. Have a look by the chin strap securing lugs to see if there is a date, also on the cross straps on the liner, most times it's dated there. I have'nt seen a wardens helmet before with a line underneath the W, could be peculiar to Ireland. Nice to see something with thats not the norm.
    Aaron
    Thanks for that, there seems to be something printed on it alright but it's been painted over. See the white line on the underneeth, near the strap secure? Just there. Theres what looks to be another number inked over it for some reason

But yeah, i've never come across the lines underneeth the W other than mine & this other one i was refering to earlier.

Has anyone seen these before? Any meaning or reasoning behind it?

?

Could it be an area or zone marking