Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian 1941 DATED MkII Wardens helmet

Article about: I have been waiting to acquire a Canadian wardens helmet to add to my collection for some time and as you do not see them for sale in the market place very often I thought it would be wise t

?

Default Canadian 1941 DATED MkII Wardens helmet

I have been waiting to acquire a Canadian wardens helmet to add to my collection for some time and as you do not see them for sale in the market place very often I thought it would be wise to pick it up well I had a chance.
    The shell was manufactured by General Steel Wares ( G.S.W. ) and is dated 1941 steel batch code ( L ) the liner is as well dated to 1941 and is a VMC Mk I this helmet looks to have had a bit of a hard life and IMO was stored poorly as the liner is some what dried out and miss shaped and missing a few bumpers I will replace the missing components as I have a box of odds and sods and re shape the liner with a hat stretcher to try and straighten it out some it will display rather well though and I do welcome it to my collection.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian 1941 DATED MkII  Wardens helmet   Canadian 1941 DATED MkII  Wardens helmet  

Canadian 1941 DATED MkII  Wardens helmet   Canadian 1941 DATED MkII  Wardens helmet  

Canadian 1941 DATED MkII  Wardens helmet   Canadian 1941 DATED MkII  Wardens helmet  

?

Neat helmet, I have seen W & ARP marked ones, do you know of any others that were used by the Canadian's on the home front.

Nice one, Mark. The liner doesnt look too bad, just need some bumpers and a drawstring as you said, then it'll be fine.

Cheers, Mads

Cool pick up mate, especially if you were after a Canadian Wardens helmet and they are hard to find as you mention. With some items you have to get them when you can.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanx gents I have missed out on a couple over the last year or so thought I better knuckle down on this one.
    Aaron I will up load a link from my lap top later tonight if I can that pretty much covers all canadian civil service organizations that were issued Mk II helmets to be used on the home front can't do it from my smart phone to date I have two ARP's,Police,Warden,S.J.A.B. and Railroad Police, Mk II's in my collection.

Regards Mark

?

Sorry for the late reply Aaron for some reason it will not let me up load the link to Service Publications that lists Post War Canadian Civil Defence Helmets but the first paragraph gives the short list of the sub organizations of the Canadian ARP services that would have been issued the Mk II in WW II.
    So here is the first paragraph from the web site.

During the Second World War, the Canadian Department of Pensions, Health and Welfare (DP&H) was responsible for the Air Raid Precautions Service (called the Civilian Protection Corps – Corps de Protection Civile in Quebec), and in addition to acquiring helmets from DND stocks, and factory rejects, ordered 155,000 mild steel helmets in 1942 from General Steelwares to equip various emergency agencies. These helmets were made of magnetic steel and their chin- strap lugs were spot-welded, rather than riveted, to the brim (one was used the model for the helmet that rests on the Tomb of Canada’s Unknown Soldier). They are also marked G.S.W. D.P.& H. and lack the date or batch number found on military helmets. ARP helmets are normally in their issue khaki, and may have a letter to designate the wearers function i.e. F for Fire Service, P for Police, U for Utilities and W for Warden, M for Medical, Senior Wardens wore white helmets with a symbol to designate their level. The letters ARP or CPC may also be found on the front of the helmet.[i]

Side note : helmets found with the letters ( CPC ) indicate that the helmet was used by the ARP services in the province of Quebec and is the french equivalent ( Corps de Protection Civile ) these are extremely hard to come by and I have only ever seen one in the market place for sale.

Regards Mark K
    Last edited by Mark K; 02-03-2014 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Added information

?

Thanks for that Mark, my learning curve has just shot up.

lovely looking lid, and great bit of info, thanks for sharing!!