Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian 1944 dated HCDR

Article about: I have been on the hunt for some time now for a unmolested Canadian produced example to add to my shelf so I was quite pleased when a fellow collector contacted me a few days back in regards

?

Default Canadian 1944 dated HCDR

I have been on the hunt for some time now for a unmolested Canadian produced example to add to my shelf so I was quite pleased when a fellow collector contacted me a few days back in regards to this 1944 dated HCDR it appears to be in unissued condition with just a few small scuff marks on the exterior of the helmet body it is in a nice large size of 7 3/4 and the liner is marked with the BS logo (Backstay Standards ) and it bares the C-/l\ inc stamp in the dome.
    Its Canadian war time designation number was A15500 (Helmet Crash Motor Cyclist Plastic ) it is thought that the contract was awarded for only 4000 examples of this particular HCDR in 1944 so they are quite hard to source .

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian 1944 dated HCDR   Canadian 1944 dated HCDR  

Canadian 1944 dated HCDR   Canadian 1944 dated HCDR  

Last edited by Mark K; 04-30-2015 at 01:43 PM.

?

Really nice example Mark, do you know in what years these were produced.

?

Thanks Aaron it is a lovely example as to production dates as best I can figurer production did not commence till 1944 as the CMHQ could not find a Canadian manufacturer willing to produce them in the early war years they were either drawn from British stores and or purchased privately from companies such as Helmets Ltd, and in April of 1940, they ordered I believe 750 examples as best I can tell they also purchased helmets from Spalding Sporting Goods in 1942 and must have acquired some from the Sponge Rubber Company and Dunlop as well as I have seen a couple of examples that were manufacturered from these producers as well over the years.
    I know there were subsequent orders planned for 12,000 more HCDR's to be produced by Backstay Standards at 6,000 units a year for 1945-1946 weather or not the orders were realized is not clear to me.

Regards Mark

?

Well, that is a surprise, like the British counter parts HCDR, I would have thought your helmet was made in the early part of the war.
    By 44 Canada had the HSDR too, so both were made side by side.

?

Hi Aaron I was surprised as well as to the late war production date but when I think back I can not remember seeing a Canadian produced example that pre dates 1944 .
    Of course my referance material is 20 plus years old so this could be subject to new information.

Regards Mark

Congrats Mark, very nice example

?

Thanx Mads it will look right at home with my other example flashed to the MP services.

Regards Mark

?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Well, that is a surprise, like the British counter parts HCDR, I would have thought your helmet was made in the early part of the war.
    By 44 Canada had the HSDR too, so both were made side by side.
    Well Aaron I stand corrected on the production date I was doing a little more snooping around this morning and came upon another example with 1943 dated leather so now I am a little perplexed and

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian 1944 dated HCDR  

?

Well, we both have learned something new, which is always good.
    Now to find a 42 dated one, but probably not.