Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Canadian first pattern fiber Dispatch Rider helmet flashed to the Military Police

Article about: Morning gents I am considering adding this early first pattern fiber, pulp Dispatch Rider helmet to my collection IMO the helmet body and liner are spot on with the exception of the draw str

?

Default Canadian first pattern fiber Dispatch Rider helmet flashed to the Military Police

Morning gents I am considering adding this early first pattern fiber, pulp Dispatch Rider helmet to my collection IMO the helmet body and liner are spot on with the exception of the draw string running through the liner head bands and possibly the the lace on the rear leather skirt .
    These are not exactly my cup of tea and I am not clear if the helmet body was manufactured by Dunlop or the Sponge Rubber Co, as it appears to be unmarked this will require a little more research on my part the liner of course was manufactured by Backstay Standards and is in a size 7 3/4 and is dated to 1944 .
    My concerns are really in regard to the painted MP flash on the helmet body as I am trying to discern weather this would have been done late war or early post war as I have seen period images of Canadian DR helmets painted in such a fashion post war and war time alike any thoughts and or opinions would be appreciated .

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian first pattern fiber Dispatch Rider helmet flashed to the Military Police   Canadian first pattern fiber Dispatch Rider helmet flashed to the Military Police  

Canadian first pattern fiber Dispatch Rider helmet flashed to the Military Police  

?

I think the MP insignia is after WW2, also I had one of these sometime ago and while doing research, I found info that stated the fiber lids were never used Overseas.

Dean

?

Hi Dean thanks for the reply and yes I did find referance to the same material and IMO you are correct they were not used overseas there is how ever some conflicting info in regards to war time or post war used.

Regards Mark

?

I did a quick check on the Canadian Provost Corp website, I may be wrong about the MP un being used during WW2 as the CMP used MP armbands in WW1 ( I didn't know that), also it shows a 1944 photo of Meatheads on Motorcycles, across the fairing it has Military Police, however their helmets are dark coloured, and I cannot make out anything on them.

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

?

Interesting that these helmets were not used overseas, as you see quite a few pic's of Canadian troops with British made non metal helmets (HCDR).
    Probably enough HCDR over here to supply Canadian troops until the HSDR came on line.

?

Thanks Dean I as well have been to that website many times there is some interesting subject matter and some good images there of Provost Corps and Military Police related items.
    Hi Aaron all the information I have read suggests these were not wore over seas but I do recall images of Canadian Dispatch Riders in England wearing these early fiber pulp helmets I wonder if they were drawn from British supply stores .
    I do know that this style of helmet was not worn in the ETO though by then we had adopted the Steel Mk I variation of said helmet .

Regards Mark

?

A couple of well know pics, the two DR's together, the leather one Spaldings?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian first pattern fiber Dispatch Rider helmet flashed to the Military Police  
    Attached Images Attached Images Canadian first pattern fiber Dispatch Rider helmet flashed to the Military Police 

?

After careful research it has become evident that the MP title was applied late war and early post war alike so taking that in to consideration and after discussing this particular helmet with a fellow collector here in Canada that has had this helmet in hand and knows of it providence I have decided to add it to my collection a bit of a leap of faith will still be required on this one as they were used late war and early post war alike but it has all come down in the end to a gut feeling I will post up some better images once it arrives.

Regards Mark

?

As the sun was shining and I had a little time last night I decided to take a few more outdoor pics after work .

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian first pattern fiber Dispatch Rider helmet flashed to the Military Police   Canadian first pattern fiber Dispatch Rider helmet flashed to the Military Police  

Canadian first pattern fiber Dispatch Rider helmet flashed to the Military Police   Canadian first pattern fiber Dispatch Rider helmet flashed to the Military Police  

Canadian first pattern fiber Dispatch Rider helmet flashed to the Military Police   Canadian first pattern fiber Dispatch Rider helmet flashed to the Military Police  

It looks great Mark!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast