MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Canadian first pattern fiber Dispatch Rider helmet flashed to the Military Police

Article about: Morning gents I am considering adding this early first pattern fiber, pulp Dispatch Rider helmet to my collection IMO the helmet body and liner are spot on with the exception of the draw str

?

Thanxs Dave I am still on the hunt and researching these type of flashed helmets to help support these were worn period but regardless of weather it is early post war or war time I am quite happy with it and I am glad I added it to my collection once I got it in hand it became apparent that the MP flash was at least re painted once in its life.

Regards Mark

Another stunner from your collection Mark. Interesting how it differs from its British counterpart.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanks Jerry I recently E-mailed the Web Master at the Canadian Provost Corp website and virtual museum to see if they could be of assistance in my research as I have exhausted all of my other avenues and I know of only one other example in a private collection.

Regards Mark

Very nice I would not care if it was post war it looks good.

Thats the thing, 1950's is 60 odd years back and more modern stuff is very collectable. Very cool even if it is post war and obviously not a common lid so well worth having.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Default MP DR's Helmet

Mark,
    I think it is post war. I have seen no indication that Canadian-made fibre DR helmets, were worn overseas. Certainly British made ones were and despite orders that they were to be supplanted with the DR Steel Mk.Is some soldiers continued to wear them into 1945. I was quite interested to see the photo posted above of what appears to be a Spalding helmet worn in the UK.

If you look through the two books devoted to Canadian DRs, Burns and Messenger's "The Winged Wheel Patch" and Clive Law's "The Canadian Military Motorcycle" white painted DR helmets do feature prominently after the War. Here is a Spalding example in my collection (you'll see it also on page 28 of my book Tin Lids). What is interesting about it is the MP insignia has been painted over earlier PROVOST markings which were worn by the Provost Corps motor-cycle demonstration team in the 1950s.
    Also for comparisonCanadian first pattern fiber Dispatch Rider helmet flashed to the Military Police an M1 liner worn by Canadian MPs post-war.
    Roger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian first pattern fiber Dispatch Rider helmet flashed to the Military Police   Canadian first pattern fiber Dispatch Rider helmet flashed to the Military Police  

Canadian first pattern fiber Dispatch Rider helmet flashed to the Military Police   Canadian first pattern fiber Dispatch Rider helmet flashed to the Military Police  

?

Many thanks Roger for your thoughts and opinions I new you possessed a white painted HCDR in your private collection flashed to the MP but there is so little information out there at least on the Web that makes referance to late war and or post war configurations and usage by the service I am quite pleased to get to the bottom of it and know the truth behind it.
    It is a very welcome addition to my collection as I do collect Canadian war time and post war alike and do believe it to be an uncommon variation with very few surviving in private collections.
    I will look into purchasing Clives book which I assume is available through service publications.

Regards Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2