Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian I942 dated GSW mK II with anti Gas cover

Article about: Morning gents I added this Mk II to my collection a few days back the helmet body was produced by General Steel Wares (G.S.W.) and is dated to 1942 and is sporting a 42 dated VMC liner in a

?

Default Canadian I942 dated GSW mK II with anti Gas cover

Morning gents I added this Mk II to my collection a few days back the helmet body was produced by General Steel Wares (G.S.W.) and is dated to 1942 and is sporting a 42 dated VMC liner in a size of 7 1/4 .
    I have a few examples in my collection of 42 dated G.S.W's with the A P steel lot batch code already but I did not have an example of a Canadian anti Gas cover and so have been biding my time and waiting to find an example that still bore its original cover of course there is know way one can be 100% positive it has been on this Mk II since the war but this particular example has adhered it self and is now stuck to the helmet body so IMO has been on this Mk II for some time now .
    I will not be attempting to remove it and it shows definite age,wear,cuts,scrapes and patina and does seem to tick all the right boxes it is nicely worn around the edges of the rim and has broken through in a few locations and shows a few small scuffs in the material from being set down on the dome.
    The anti Gas Cover is constucted of a two tone green and brown wax covered light canvas like material and is well marked and was produced in 1942 by ARISTO in Gault Ontario and bares the C-/I\ Canadian War time government acceptance stamp.
    There are period contemporary images that show these covers were indeed used and field modified and the anti gas covers can be seen worn by members of the Canadian Navy to help protect them from the elements while performing there duties on board ships and landing craft alike as well as being worn by Canadian soldiers in the field in the ETO to help ward off the rains and foul weather some of these were indeed modified by removing the cape and then further used as a straight camo helmet covers as well.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian I942 dated GSW mK II with anti Gas cover   Canadian I942 dated GSW mK II with anti Gas cover  

Canadian I942 dated GSW mK II with anti Gas cover   Canadian I942 dated GSW mK II with anti Gas cover  

Canadian I942 dated GSW mK II with anti Gas cover   Canadian I942 dated GSW mK II with anti Gas cover  

Canadian I942 dated GSW mK II with anti Gas cover  
    Last edited by Mark K; 03-08-2015 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Added better quality pictures

Very nice Mark, your patience paid off and you have scored yourself a very nice helmet

Matt

?

Really nice Mark, I take it all the Canadian helmet gas covers were like your type, which covered the whole helmet. Not like the Mk1 British gas cover that just went over the brim.

?

Thanx Aaron as to the question on the covers I do believe this is the only variation produced here in Canada as I have never seen a partial cover with Canadian markings.
    Now that I said that though a nicely stamped Canadian example that just covers the rim will get posted.

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark K; 03-08-2015 at 04:06 AM.

Hi Mark, super helmet and cover mate, I have a Home Front Wardens helmet with the MKI cover on it that Aaron refers to and that has "sealed" itself good and proper onto the steel, I doubt I would be able to remove it if I tried so if yours is stuck down as well I would agree that it has been on the helmet since the war. Leon.Canadian I942 dated GSW mK II with anti Gas coverCanadian I942 dated GSW mK II with anti Gas cover

?

Thanks Leon I have been wanting to add a nice worn example to my collection for some time I just had to wait for the right one to come along and this one just seemed a good fit.

Regards Mark

?

Great looking example. Congrats Mark!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Lovely helmets for sure!

I have always heard that you could loosen up the covers by soaking them in warm water... I however sure as hell would not try, nor recommend it! Leave well enough alone, but you all know this already.