Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

The Canadian Mk II and its components

Article about: This thread is meant to be a quick referral to the Canadian Mk II helmet and its components and only covers the basic facts. The information hear in was gathered from multiple on line source

?

Thanks Jerry
    Hi Noelh please keep in mind that with out seeing one of the Mk II's in question this is only a guess I presume the shells have been painted a dark OD semi gloss green and if so they would have very likely been repainted after Canada adopted the 51 pattern webbing so the paint would date no earlier than May-June of 1951 and very probably no later than 1955 .
    At this time Canada was refitting and reorganizing and repainted much of it's existing field and mobile equipment the same color.

Regards Mark

?

Great info - thanks!
    I have other Canadian (?) chinstraps, but I suppose they are postwar (3rd and 4th)

Am I right?
    Piotrek

?

Yes you are correct Piotrek the last one shown is quite nice and they are rather hard to come by they are a pretty good copy of the early war produced Mk II variation with the closed center strut on the buckle that was manufactured by Backstay Standards.

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark K; 02-14-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Added additional information

?

Thanks!
    Piotrek

A very well earned sticky Mark.The sheer amount of effort and work you have put in is top notch for anyone wishing to find out any info on mk2 Canadian Helmets.hats off to you sir..........

?

Thank you, that's a good summary, with respect to post-war liners VMV also manufactured a batch in 1953, they have the V.MC. initials, and are dated, they also have the post-war government property mark. UnfortunatelyI have found nothing in the Canadian Archives about this order, however DND were placing small contracts into the 1960s for parts such as chin-straps, bolts, buffers etc .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Canadian Mk II and its components   The Canadian Mk II and its components  

?

Hello Roger many thanks for the reply your book TinLids has been an absolute inspiration to me .

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark K; 01-18-2015 at 01:24 AM.

?

Piotrek,
    Your left strap appears to be British, as the weave is coarser than on Canadian Mk.Ii chin-strap. The second strap is, I am told a British Civill Defence chin-strap. It has been associated with Canada because Lt.-Col. John Meldram, no doubt exercising his perogative as Officer Commanding Winnipeg Rifles wore one on his Mk.III.
    Roger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Canadian Mk II and its components  

?

I briefly owned a few Canadian helmet shells:

The Canadian Mk II and its components

They came with a box of, I think, 13 unissued liners.

It was as iff they had all been taken from a bunch of soldiers in exchange for MkIIIs. They had the serial numbers of the troops penciled inside the lids.

A few were still in their factory paint.

?

Thanx for posting these up there looks to have been some nice examples in there I see a few flashed helmet bodies in the mix .

Regards Mark

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast