Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian mk2 netted

Article about: This was gifted to me by a friend of mine who is a helmet collector named Frank O. from Canada. When I told him I was putting together an "International WW2" helmet collection, he

Default Canadian mk2 netted

This was gifted to me by a friend of mine who is a helmet collector named Frank O. from Canada. When I told him I was putting together an "International WW2" helmet collection, he sent me this. Man. by Viceroy ? 1942 on liner, however I can find no markings on the shell. The net is two tone which I find interesting.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian mk2 netted   Canadian mk2 netted  

Canadian mk2 netted   Canadian mk2 netted  

A nice example David!
    Especially for free!
    Did you check the inside of the chin strap for any stamps?
    The liner is made by Viceroy Manufacturing Co. There should be some letters and numbers stamped on the rear brim to tell you who made the shell.
    Here is a very good reference thread for these.
    Commonwealth MkII Helmet & Liner Manufacturers

My example with a liner made by the same maker has been posted here,
    Canadian MK II Netted Helmet
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks Ralph. Will look again for markings

Inner shell marked NL & soldiers name scratched into paint. Chinstrap ink stamp
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian mk2 netted   Canadian mk2 netted  

?

nice gift! that would be a C broad arrow ink stamp on the chinstrap

?

Morning David this is a rather interesting example take notice that the chinstrap lug rivets have been welded on the underside and are not the standard press fit rivets as seen below...
    Canadian mk2 netted
    If the rivets are any indication on the manufacturer we can rule out General Steel Wares ( G.S.W. ) as a producer as they used a flat top blind face rivet as opposed to the Canadian Motorlamp Company ( C.L./C. ) and or the Aluminium Goods Company ( AG/C ) whom used round headed blind face rivets...

Rivet as found on an example produced by G.S.W.
    Canadian mk2 netted
    Rivet as found on an example produced by C.L./C.
    Canadian mk2 netted
    Rivet as found on an example produced by AG/C
    Canadian mk2 netted
    Now as to the question of no date code and or steel lot batch number a Canadian Mk II shell exists of particular interest these shells are to be found with no manufacture mark date and or a steel batch code stamped to the interior of the shell all these are constructed of non magnetic Hadfield manganese steel which denotes them as combat grade shells. From the way the rim ends are joined on the on the helmet body in comparison to the C.L./C and or the AG/C shells and from the later war olive khaki paint there construction can date no earlier than mid 1942 IMO these shells were produced by General Steel Wares (G.S.W.)
    I currently have two such helmets in my collection these helmet bodies are suspected of not meeting quality control standards and are thought to have been sold off to the A.R.P. services to be used by the civil defence network in Canada.

So your Mk II is a bit on the odd side and like no other example I have come across before as it does not fall into the category above but none the less interesting. It has had a repaint at least once in its service career I would almost suspect it was repaired in a Depot and then repainted but as there should/would have been an abundance of Canadian Mk II helmet bodies around it does make one wonder why go to the trouble ...
    The net is a later war knotted as opposed to the earlier examples that were woven

Regards Mark

?

And David more information can be found on the Canadian Mk II and its components at the link below...
    kozowy.blogspot.ca/2017/07/this-blog-is-meant-to-be-quick-referral.html

Regards Mark Kozowy

Thanks Mark

The only shell marking I can see is "NL". I know there was a company "N LTD" from Llford England also known as SE Norris LTD...hence the NL ?? I know they made liners, maybe shells too ?

Dang! That looks amazing.. Now I want a complete MK2 Helmet. Welup, Christmas is coming soon...