Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Canadian Steel Helmet Mk I*.

Article about: nice pic Aaron

Default Re: Canadian Steel Helmet Mk I*.

nice pic Aaron

?

Would the V stamped on your helmet be for Vickers, nice first year of manufacture liner as well 37.

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    here is a typical example being sold as a mk1 refurb but is in fact a type A brodie war office pattern of 1915-16 raw edge so it proves both raw edge and mk1 rimmed were refurbished,dave
    It's a very nice helmet. I don't think there ever was any doubt that rimless shells were used, after all, my Canadian example and Joseph Barrett's British example are both of this type. In fact, in terms of actual examples, we seem to have more rimless types than anything else

I think the confusion here is that, for whatever reason, everyone is using the incorrect/invented term "Mk I Refurb" as if it was a real name for something, instead of calling the thing what it actually is - a Steel Helmet Mk I*. The term "Mk I Refurb" implies a refurbished Mk I shell, but what we are talking about is a Mk I* helmet, i.e., an old shell (of any type except Mk II) updated with the new pattern liner and chinstrap. As I said, in Canada, they even used stocks of M1917 American helmet shells for this.

I am starting to understand why Adrian is so keen to insist everyone use proper German terms for German awards. If we use proper names, it's a lot less confusing. Perhaps we should start enforcing real names for Allied equipment?

Rob

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Would the V stamped on your helmet be for Vickers, nice first year of manufacture liner as well 37.
    No, it would be W & E Viener, with the steel supplied by Samuel Osborne & Co Ltd

Ron

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    It's a very nice helmet. I don't think there ever was any doubt that rimless shells were used, after all, my Canadian example and Joseph Barrett's British example are both of this type. In fact, in terms of actual examples, we seem to have more rimless types than anything else

I think the confusion here is that, for whatever reason, everyone is using the incorrect/invented term "Mk I Refurb" as if it was a real name for something, instead of calling the thing what it actually is - a Steel Helmet Mk I*. The term "Mk I Refurb" implies a refurbished Mk I shell, but what we are talking about is a Mk I* helmet, i.e., an old shell (of any type except Mk II) updated with the new pattern liner and chinstrap. As I said, in Canada, they even used stocks of M1917 American helmet shells for this.

I am starting to understand why Adrian is so keen to insist everyone use proper German terms for German awards. If we use proper names, it's a lot less confusing. Perhaps we should start enforcing real names for Allied equipment?

Rob
    yes rob your correct in stating the use of proper terms,most alternatives have been derived from within the collectors world,for example m1 termonology has been completely misused for example the word BALES on the chinstrap mounts>no word was ever documented and so D BALE helmet officially never existed because there's no such helmet and so on.dave.

?

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    Type A Trial Pattern
    Type B Trial Pattern
    War Office Pattern (Mild Steel) - October 1915
    War Office Pattern (Manganese Steel) - Dec 1915
    Steel Helmet Mk I (1st Type) - April 1916
    Steel Helmet Mk I (2nd Type) - May/June 1917
    Rob
    Nice helmets and great info!
    Just a few words - I have the strange shell of MkI (rimmed, 1st or 2nd type - no liner and chinstrap). It is signed "MLS 45" (Miris) and it is magnetic. Probably it is made from nickel steel, not manganese. I've heard the helmet's specification determinate protective parameters, not the type of steel.
    I know a several MkI magnetic helmets of MLS.

Piotrek

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2