Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Candian Helmet, Steel Dispatch Riders to share

Article about: I picked over the weekend. Pretty common design by the British so not rare in any way. I thought the Canadian acceptance marking was interesting and I do not know what to make of the made in

Default Canadian Helmet, Steel, Dispatch Riders to share

I picked over the weekend. Pretty common design by the British so not rare in any way. I thought the Canadian acceptance marking was interesting and I do not know what to make of the made in Canada label. Not something I have seen before. The liner and shell are both dated 1944. Inetersting item as it is part of the history. It is my understanding these were used well into the 70's so the design must not have been too bad. Not big enough for me to wear and test on the cycle. Probably lucky.
    John

Candian Helmet, Steel Dispatch Riders to shareCandian Helmet, Steel Dispatch Riders to shareCandian Helmet, Steel Dispatch Riders to shareCandian Helmet, Steel Dispatch Riders to shareCandian Helmet, Steel Dispatch Riders to shareCandian Helmet, Steel Dispatch Riders to shareCandian Helmet, Steel Dispatch Riders to shareCandian Helmet, Steel Dispatch Riders to shareCandian Helmet, Steel Dispatch Riders to share
    Last edited by Rescue190; 10-02-2019 at 05:38 PM.

?

I have owned a couple and each time with the made in Canada label. I have't seen a label on any other Canadian made helmet types. One of the few things I regret selling since I wasn't a helmet collector at the time and now I am chasing a good one that I can afford.. Great looking helmet.

?

Excellent Helmet!

?

These are known in the Canadian Service as the Helmet, Crash,Motor Cyclist Steel or A 15550 .
    The helmet body and liner as seen in your images are both dated 1944 the shell is a Mk I steel N# 3 and was manufactured by The Canadian Motorlamp Co. and is marked C.L./C. 1944 with the capital letter S impressed in the rear of the shell denoting the size as a small the shell is painted matt khaki green #3 which is correct according to the First Army Routine Order of the 27 July 1941...
    The liner is in very decent condition showing little to no wear and only has a few small blemishes do to storage and the sorbo rubber still looks quite supple and pliable..
    The liner was manufactured by Backstay Standards and bares there company logo BS with in a circle it is in a size 6 3/4 there should be a C-Broad Arrow inc stamp hidden behind the leather on the front crash pad..
    Now as to the made in Canada label as best as I can discern a large number of these must have been sold off as surplus sometime after the war and were destined for the export market as I have seen a few like this now all in similar unissued condition and all of them dated to 1944 when I purchased mine a number of years back it was 1 of 6 that the seller had still packaged in its original storage box the label can bee seen as well in my comparison image below..

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Candian Helmet, Steel Dispatch Riders to share  

Thank you for all of the information Mark. Much appreciated.
    John

?

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    John
    No worries John I will add a link later tonight that explains them in better detail..

Regards Mark

?

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    John
    Morning John you might find this link of interest in your search for knowledge
    Despatch Rider Helmets - RCSigs.ca

Regards Mark