Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET

Article about: Got this SFP ( supplementary fire parties ) marked CPH which in it's own right is quite nice with for me a new type of chin strap that I have'nt seen before on these helmets, but I think I'v

Could the decal be for a company, rather than a governmental organisation?

?

Yes, most likely.

?

Seems that, T.S.M.Co.Ltd. for some reason only stamped their liners on the inside, & not on the face side.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET  

'thought I'd revitalise this one.

On the basis that over 10,000,000 were made there's gotta be some great examples of markings, transfers, colours out there simply waiting to be shared. OK so they're probably the least attractive or collected helmets in the entire world but.....

Here's a few more...outsides only but for those interested in the detail, for some of them at least:-

Khaki with “FG/SC” in white – 1941, “P.S.C.”, Medium
    Khaki with “SFP” in white – 1941, “P.S.C.”, Medium
    Black with “H” & “HOSPITAL” – 1941, “BMB”, Medium
    Khaki – 1941, “W A M” (?), Medium
    Grey with “RP/E” – 1941, “VM”, Medium

'get ya Zucks out!!

The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMETThe CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMETThe CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMETThe CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMETThe CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMETThe CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMETThe CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMETThe CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET

....oh, and that chapter's finished..it's not a trap!

Hi, Lovely old helmets they used to be two a penny when i was a kid they were piled up in a heap waiting to be melted down. along with combat helmets, needless to say as kids we nicked them for swaps lol, they were developed by a ministry man called Solly Zuckerman. you will always find they are stamped 1941 this is the only year they were made. They usually came without a strap and civilians could buy them also, hope this helps.
    Dave.

ps, I stand corrected i have never seen a 1940 or 42 stamped helmet of this type, thanks for showing them .

I had a feeling that someone found a non-41 dated one...although that might’ve been a LARGE when everyone else thought they were only MEDIUM. Either way, I think they’d make a good collection on their own....but on the basis that 99.99% of forum members aren’t interested in Brit civil MkIIs the poor old Zuck doesn’t have a hope...... :-)

Both 1940 and 1942 dated examples exist (several of us have them), although as they are the extreme beginning and end of issue they are the least common. Issues began in December 1940, and I believe none were made after April 1942 (could be earlier). LARGE are fairly common (and can often be found as postwar Dutch or Danish reworks) but the majority were MEDIUM. No SMALL were made.

I completely agree that the CPH is a good collecting thing in its own right; several makers, many small variations in fixtures and fittings, and those hard to find '40 and '41 examples. And of course for those with the particular bent, all those letters and stripes painted on. I like them, despite their rather comedy aspect.

I agree Greg....as someone who likes a bit of paint (my "particular bent" ) I think they're under-rated....funny, but under-rated

?

Quote by Composite View Post
    'get ya Zucks out!!
    It takes a bit longer to get them out these days….

Below are my offerings, no big surprises and all made in 1941

SFP 5-H-4, size M shell VM, liner CC&S

SFP, size L shell PSC, liner AMC

FG, size M shell PSC, liner CC&S

White FG, size M shell BA?, liner CC&S

White single line FG, size M shell JSS, liner not marked

White double lined FG, size M shell not legible, liner MM

White double lined FG, size MC shell not legible, liner MM
    This one has a Dyson Horsfall label fitted, the same a Tinlid shows in post #15, addressed to the ARP SUB-CONTROLLER in Brentford, based in a local school. It’s hard to photograph because of the liner.

I did notice there are some manufacturing differences, the ‘chinstrap’ lugs vary and also the rims, they are folded up, folded under and two have a full fitted rim like the MkII

The liners have foam pads which very in thickness between the ¼ sizes, the size 7 (biggest liner in the M helmet) not having any.

I like these, and it’s inevitable and it’s interest from collectors will increase, and this thread is a great resource for anyone interested.
    Taking in account they would need to be distributed to every town in Britain, the simplicity of the design, with the self-assembly liner was a really impressive solution.

Nice to see the leaflet at the beginning of this thread !!

Here's mine .......................... very similar to ones worn in a BBC TV re-enactment of the Battle of Bannockburn !!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET   The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET  

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast