Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET

Article about: Got this SFP ( supplementary fire parties ) marked CPH which in it's own right is quite nice with for me a new type of chin strap that I have'nt seen before on these helmets, but I think I'v

?

Default The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET

Got this SFP ( supplementary fire parties ) marked CPH which in it's own right is quite nice with for me a new type of chin strap that I have'nt seen before on these helmets, but I think I've seen these straps on the bakelte & Cromwell helmets?
    But what came with it is an instruction leaflet from the Ministry of Home Security telling you how to fit the liner to the shell. It also shows you the size of liner for each size of shell, NO small size shell just medium & large.
    Hope you find it interesting.
    Aaron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET   The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET  

The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET   The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET  

Default Re: The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET

Thanks. I had not seen the leaflet before.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

What a nice helmet Tinlid and the literature with it really makes for a nice display. We just don't see any of these lids for sale here in the states. Will have to break down one of these days and pay that big shipping fee to get a nice example over the pond.

Regards,

Russ & Son

?

There is one for sale on US ebay but he want $60 which is quite a bit for one of these.

?

Great find, love the SFP marking and the document answers a lot of questions...I didn't realize they came Ikea style.

?

Makes you wonder how many leaflets were produced, did they go out with every helmet or just with a batch of ten at a time? But this is the first I've ever seen, they probably just read the instructions & then screwed it up & threw it away.

Very likely there would have been one leaflet per helmet, as the probability is that many of the people getting them would have been unfamiliar with the idea of wearing a helmet and how to best fit it. Even ex-servicemen would not have encountered this form of liner before, and would have needed clear instruction for fitting it to both head and helmet.

As with so much printed-paper ephemera from that period the leaflets would have been used as firelighters or eventually become baled up as paper salvage. Maybe even toilet paper. Life was difficult.

Nice to see this leaflet went to a good home; I did wait on posting my transcription to see whether anything showed up here in the event one of us bought it, and then like a fool failed to notice you actually had done. Ah well, we're all the wiser now. Next step, how to train everyone out of calling them the Zuckerman.

My example can be seen here:

British Firewatchers "Zuckerman" steel helmet

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

SMP
    ?

That pamphlet is wonderful , Aaron ! First I've ever seen.

?

Well, this stretches the dates of when the civilian protective helmet was made. December 1940 to at least February 1942.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET  

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast