Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Complete Front Seam M1 - Named - Rank Marked - Big Red One

Article about: Here is a complete front seam M1, with swivel bales, sewn straps, blackened brass hardware, and complete Westinghouse liner. The shell has a clothe Warrant Officer flash glued to the front t

Default Complete Front Seam M1 - Named - Rank Marked - Big Red One

Here is a complete front seam M1, with swivel bales, sewn straps, blackened brass hardware, and complete Westinghouse liner. The shell has a clothe Warrant Officer flash glued to the front that has been there forever. The liner, named to Lawrence E Hanson, with his RA service number, looks like it has been with the shell since the War, and has a "Big Red One" decal on the front with dual 16th Regiment decals on the sides. I like it alot, I hope you do too. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Complete Front Seam M1 - Named - Rank Marked - Big Red One   Complete Front Seam M1 - Named - Rank Marked - Big Red One  

Complete Front Seam M1 - Named - Rank Marked - Big Red One   Complete Front Seam M1 - Named - Rank Marked - Big Red One  

Complete Front Seam M1 - Named - Rank Marked - Big Red One   Complete Front Seam M1 - Named - Rank Marked - Big Red One  

?

Default Re: Complete Front Seam M1 - Named - Rank Marked - Big Red One

i believe this would be a 1950's helmet as i think decals like this came in to use post war & the RA before his number is also a post war use RA meaning regular army but nether the less a very nice M-1 can you make out his service number ??

?

Quote by NickD View Post
    i believe this would be a 1950's helmet as i think decals like this came in to use post war & the RA before his number is also a post war use RA meaning regular army but nether the less a very nice M-1 can you make out his service number ??
    Thanks Nick, After I read your post I looked it up and RA was added as a designation for Regular Army in 1947. The use of decals like these was started, as i understand it, immediately after the War. The components of the shell and liner are all war time vintage. The serial number is RA 19123868. Is there a way we can trace the service history of the soldier? Any suggestions/help would be appreciated, as I have a few US pots that are named, and some have the serial numbers as well. Thanks in advance. Jim G.

Found him! Lawrence E. Hanson was inducted in 1942, and was originally in the Army Air Corps. He was born in 1924 in Minnesota, and was a resident of Butte Montana when he joined the Army. He enlisted on 12/8/1941 (wow!) and apparently re-upped a few times after the War, which would explain the RA prefix on his serial number. I have never tried to look up the service history of the soldiers whose helmets I have before, but Nick's post got me interested, and I am thrilled. This guy was in the service during WWII, and may have landed on D-Day! I guess I have alot more research to do now. Jim G.

Click on the picture 2 x's and you will be able to read the record.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Complete Front Seam M1 - Named - Rank Marked - Big Red One  

I guess we were both searching at the same time. Thanks for your help. I am sure that this is the man. Jim G.

?

it always makes them that bit more special when theres a name that can be traced nice job mate

Rettzdad
    ?

Did a little research on Mr. Lawrence. Unfortunately, it looks as if he has passed.
    HANSON, LAWRENCE E 26 Jun 1924 15 Feb 1996 (V) 71 84125 (Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, UT) (none specified) Montana 517-24-0079

Thanks for the additional information. Our vets are leaving us at an alarming, and sorrowful pace. God bless him. Jim G.