Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Crash Helmet RAC

Article about: Thanks Aaron.

Default Re: Crash Helmet RAC

Thanks Aaron.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Although I'm no radio expert it looks like they are only using the earphones tied into the scrum & not the whole headset. Which I guess is an 19 set for AFV, I will look out for a scrum for you as now & again they do turn up.
    It would depend on which period of the war. The Wireless Set 19 Mk I was introduced in 1941, and would have presumably taken some time to replace existing sets. Prior to this the Wireless Set No 11 would have been the most likely set in AFVs.

I was trying to see if I could identify what they are wearing in the photo. The headphones for the WS19 have a microphone permanently attached, which would hang at roughly stomach level. I don't see it on either of the men wearing the scrum, unless they have tucked it into their respirator haversacks. Judging by the LMS railway logo on the train, they must be in the UK, so the pic would predate 1942 anyway, as 6th Armoured Div were in North Africa by '42.

Rob

?

I expect most of the pictures taken of soldiers using the HCRAC would have been from 39-41/42. So maybe they were'nt using the 19 set earphones so they are probably the No 11 set. Were the 11 set earphones different from the No19 set earphones? I've been looking out for a set of earphones to go in my scrum & thouhgt I'd have to dismantle a set, because as from the pictures it looks like the earphones are just 2 earphones with cables linking them & no head harness.
    Here's some other pics.
    Aaron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Crash Helmet RAC   Crash Helmet RAC  

I expect most of the pictures taken of soldiers using the HCRAC would have been from 39-41/42. So maybe they were'nt using the 19 set earphones so they are probably the No 11 set. Were the 11 set earphones different from the No19 set earphones? I've been looking out for a set of earphones to go in my scrum & thouhgt I'd have to dismantle a set, because as from the pictures it looks like the earphones are just 2 earphones with cables linking them & no head harness.
    Here's some other pics.
    Aaron
    Yes they are different. In it's AFV configuration, the WS No 11 used CLR phones with a long cord, known officially as Receivers, Headgear, CLR, Double, Mk III with 6-ft Cord and Plug (CLR meaning Type C, Low Resistance). This was used with a separate Microphone, Hand No 3A.

I have some of these. I will do some photos for you so you know exactly what you're looking for. These do show up on ebay sometimes - shouldn't be too hard to find a set, although the long cord version is not so common.

I think a pair of the correct phones would be the perfect finishing touch to your helmet collection

Rob

Ok, this is what you need for a AFV crewman in a tank equipped with either a Wireless Set No 11 or a Wireless Set No 9 (which was another early war AFV radio, using the same vehicle wiring harness as the No 11):

Crash Helmet RACCrash Helmet RACCrash Helmet RACCrash Helmet RAC

They are attached to a standard No 9 Plug, which would be the type used in the AFV. I have shown them without any form of headband, although phones of this type are usually be found with either a metal or canvas headband, like this:

Crash Helmet RAC

These are also CLRs with the more usual shorter cord, to show the early metal headband.

Crash Helmet RAC

This set are actually DLR No 1 phones, but sport the same type of canvas headband usually fitted to CLRs. I really need a polystyrene head to show this properly.

Rob
    Last edited by Battery Command Post; 11-21-2011 at 05:38 AM.

Crash Helmet RAC

This man is defintely wearing the early type headset for the WS19. You can tell by the way the cord attaches to the earphone, not to mention that he has the mike stuck into his jacket...

Crash Helmet RACCrash Helmet RACCrash Helmet RAC

The purple velvet pieces are actually padded covers (they're not all this kind of Goth purple colour, i have a set of black phones as well), which i would imagine you would have to remove to fit into the scrum headpiece (along with the metal headband of course). You can see from the profile it's the same item as your man has. The proper name for this headphone set is "Microphone and Receiver Headgear Assembly No 1".

Rob
    Last edited by Battery Command Post; 11-21-2011 at 04:20 AM.

?

That's brilliant, thanks for the indepth description of the head sets. Most if not all the pictures I've seen of the headsets being used in the scrum is the Microphone & receiver headgear ass' No 1.
    That's the one I'll be looking out for now.
    Thanks again.
    Aaron

?

Thanks to Rob for pointing me in the right direction regarding the earphones, finally got a pair.
    Aaron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Crash Helmet RAC   Crash Helmet RAC  

Crash Helmet RAC   Crash Helmet RAC  

Crash Helmet RAC   Crash Helmet RAC  

Thanks to Rob for pointing me in the right direction regarding the earphones, finally got a pair.
    Aaron
    Wow, that really does look good
    Glad i was able to help

Rob

That looks excellent Aaron.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast