Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Curious Adrian M26

Article about: Any ideas are welcome about this Adrian M26 helmet. The helmet looks a regular Adrian M26 model. Inside it has an ink stamp of a French manufacturer MAM.OU (Manufacture des Metaux Ouvres a M

Default Curious Adrian M26

Any ideas are welcome about this Adrian M26 helmet.

The helmet looks a regular Adrian M26 model. Inside it has an ink stamp of a French manufacturer MAM.OU (Manufacture des Metaux Ouvres a Marseilles). The liner is a repro, the helmet seems to be repainted some day. Everything looks as it must be, BUT...

As you may see inside the comb is fixed with round hollow rivets. Some told me that the helmet must be Belgian as the Belgians used hollow rivets to fix the combs on their M26-31, while the French apllied splitted rivets only.

But the helmet has a French ink stamp. And besides it is definitely a French helmet by its shape, comb, etc. The Belgian helmet has a quite different profile.

Supposing that the helmet was produced in France for the Belgian army.. The books say "possible", but only before 1931 when the Belgians started their own production. Looks encouraging, but another BUT...
    The helmet in question has a rusted steel comb. While some sources say the French started to make steel combs at the end of the 30's. Early M26 were with aluminium combs

Could anybody help to pull me through these puzzles?Curious Adrian M26Curious Adrian M26Curious Adrian M26Curious Adrian M26

Default Re: Curious Adrian M26

thats a french badge and it looks like it as always been there.

Hi you have giving more information than I knew, about Adrians.
    I only have one and it has split rivets holding the comb on.
    I did a experiment on mine the other week, And found out that the comb/rim/liner brackets all attract a magnet, but the shell itself doesn’t.
    The only other differences that I can see between yours and mine is height and width of the comb. Yours seem lower and wider. You can always check yours to see if they are made of the same materials.
    Not much help I know sorry,
    Regards
    Rod

Yes, Rod. The same story with the shell. it does not attract the magnet in difference to the other elements. The shape of the combs depended upon a manufacturer. There were various types more or less similar.

The most contraversial thing are those rivets. I looked through numerous sources and all of them say the rivets on French helmets were splitted. While on Belgian hollow ones. Exactly as on my helmet. But it is not Belgian!

That is strange about the rivets sorry i can’t help.
    Can you find any other examples anywhere by the same maker just to see if the rivets are the same.
    Are they the same rivets that hold the liner brackets on, as mine are hollow type that serve that purpose.
    Rod

?

Firstly I've learnt something from your post...thanks.
    I have 5 m26 French Adrian helmets and I've just checked them based on your comments above. 2 of them do have aluminum combs, the aluminum combs do have a much more defined profile, this is probably down to the ease of pressing aluminum. There are 3 different types of rivets used to fix the comb.
    1. Split rivet, with about an 8mm tab that looks to split easily.
    2. Split rivet, with about a 3mm tab that looks like it was hammered open.
    3. Solid rivet hammered over.

My answer would be that you have a French helmet, the rivet I think they would have used what was available, the liner mounts are held on with hollow rivets on 4 of my helmets. The badge looks like it's been there from the start, and the colour is correct and as you say the the shape of the helmet is not Belgian. It's a nice helmet.
    Steve.

No, Rod. The rivets that hold the liner brackets are always of a hollow type. Just they may be of different metal (brass for earlier models and steel (or aluminimum?) for late).

The rivets in questions are only those that fix the comb

Thank you for having gone to the trouble to look at your helmets. Does the helmet with the hammered rivets have an ink stamp inside? Who is the manufacturer?

I would like to put a clear end to a discussion with some local "connoisseur" insisiting that there are no French helmets with hammered rivets holding the comb
    As the books do not serve as arguments any more I feel we will have to grab knifes (firearms are prohibited to have at home in Ukraine)

Thanks

?

Alejovich, my helmet has no manufacturers stamp, I will post pictures tomorrow when I have some daylight. Post #5 from the thread below has French M26 helmet with hollow rivets also.

French Adrian M-26 Steel Helmets

Steve.

?

Here are the pictures of the M26 with solid rivets on the comb. The helmet is a 'Defence Passive', civil defence, it has never been repanted and the badge has never been removed.

Curious Adrian M26

Curious Adrian M26

Curious Adrian M26

Curious Adrian M26

Curious Adrian M26

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast