Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Dennison cargo helmet net

Article about: hello to everyone.i would like to open a discussion regarding the use of dennison cargo netting helmet conversions during ww2 for US troops.i've looked in books and on militaria US forums re

Default Dennison cargo helmet net

hello to everyone.i would like to open a discussion regarding the use of dennison cargo netting helmet conversions during ww2 for US troops.i've looked in books and on militaria US forums regarding this matter and there is some divide over this matter.appartently there is one featured in chris arnolds PAINTED STEEL and period photo's of troops training in the US in late 44 wearing them but how is it that i've always been led to believe the US only made one net and that was the m1944 net tight woven small mesh with neophene band and label.so my questions to you guys and girls at the forum are as follows.1-if these nets were simple cut down versions from large made cargo nets then why were these NOT supplied prior to normandy instead of relying on british and canandian made nets?2-were these simply a cheep alternitive being used while in training back in the US?3-are there any period front line pics of these nets being worn?4-or is this all a scam which was started about 10 years ago when a guy came across a large supply of cargo netting who decided to cut down into square sections add a white label and date it 1944 and hoped to make a quick and tidy profit?im hoping there will be some positive feedback from the experts at this forum many thanks dave.

?

Default Re: Dennison cargo helmet net

I've got one for sale on ebay at the moment but before I listed it I entered dennison helmet net 1944 & quite a bit of info came up. There is a well know picture of a soldier leaning on a bank about to fire a bazzooka which I was going to add to the pictures but could I find it.
    Aaron

NY77TH
    ?

Hello,
    These so called Dennison helmet nets were issued to some training camps in the U.S. in 1944 due too the Allied invasion of Europe. I have two that came home from vets and are still attached to the helmets. The G.I.'s took these with them from boot camp and used them during the war. I also have a pamphlet from 1944 that shows several of the men wearing them in training at a camp.

Quote by NY77TH View Post
    Hello,
    These so called Dennison helmet nets were issued to some training camps in the U.S. in 1944 due too the Allied invasion of Europe. I have two that came home from vets and are still attached to the helmets. The G.I.'s took these with them from boot camp and used them during the war. I also have a pamphlet from 1944 that shows several of the men wearing them in training at a camp.
    Hi, welcome to the Forum.
    Please, feel free to post them. It would be great to have them posted in the forum, for future reference.
    Cheers
    Nuno

NY77TH
    ?

Will do....I need to look for the pamphlet. It is stored away with other books. Be back in a few days with pictures.

?

We should differentiate between the 2-inch net and the 2-inch net with a tiny paper 'Dennison' label on them (as shown in Painted Steel). The former sells for $10-$15 while the latter last sold for around $40. However, to date no one has produced any contract information that proves Dennison produced camo nets, so I am inclined to believe that those shown in photos were made as a stop-gap camo cover and not by Dennison under government contract. It's not hard to imagine that the need came up and someone, or some group, started making them. And perhaps the word got out and others did the same thing.