Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Desert Rat real or fake?

Article about: Hello chaps, just spotted this on e-bay. Only 3 quite poor quality phot's and I suspect only one bid tells a story in itself but are there any obvious dead give-aways? Opinions please!? Chee

Default Desert Rat real or fake?

Hello chaps, just spotted this on e-bay. Only 3 quite poor quality phot's and I suspect only one bid tells a story in itself but are there any obvious dead give-aways? Opinions please!?

Desert Rat real or fake? Desert Rat real or fake? Desert Rat real or fake?

Cheers,

Ian.

Default Re: Desert Rat real or fake?

Very bad fake IMHO. The way the painting of the camo over the earlier paint that has already mostly come off is a bad sign, as is the 7th Armoured Div formation flash, as I have never seen one of these that I thought was a real period done item, also the crappy not very detailed pics are a bad sign etc.....
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Also from the seller referring to the flash - 'again I havnt got a clue as to when this was done' is never a good sign is it?

Of course he may be a bona-fide seller and has just picked it up somewhere. British ww2 helmet | eBay

Check this site out. Some 'interesting' reproductions and parts within.

Military Helmet Stencil instructions, Stencil and Template application guides - WarHats.com Military Headwear from many conflicts

Desert Rat real or fake?

I wouldn't mind betting that the inspiration (and stencil) came from there.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by canti44 View Post
    Also from the seller referring to the flash - 'again I havnt got a clue as to when this was done' is never a good sign is it?

Of course he may be a bona-fide seller and has just picked it up somewhere. British ww2 helmet | eBay
    Look at the guys feedback. Besides flogging a few razors and beer mugs, he's been retailing a varied assortment of militaria, helmets, repro luft gear and other such stuff. This makes me think he knows more than he's letting on when he say he doesn't know which is the front of the helmet and which is the back. Liar.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

The stencils, and lots of other unit ones besides the Desert Rats ones are regularly available on EBay UK.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy