Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Desert tommy lid

Article about: I know the Greeks & I think Israel used these helmets post war, so it could be a Greek made liner in what was a WW2 shell. Aaron

?

Default Re: Desert tommy lid

I know the Greeks & I think Israel used these helmets post war, so it could be a Greek made liner in what was a WW2 shell.
    Aaron

Hi,
    i think the liners shown are repro also the Mk2 straps, they are far to clean as said they could have been in store but they are missing the head pads.
    dave.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    I know the Greeks & I think Israel used these helmets post war, so it could be a Greek made liner in what was a WW2 shell.
    Aaron
    Aaron, it's definetely not a Greek made liner. In that case, the headband would me made of aluminium and the liner of a glossy brown synthetic material, not black. Doesn't look like a Belgian one, either... Chinstrap is also wrong for a refurbished Greek Mk2...

Regards, Giorgos

To my mind Vady's helmet is a Dutch reissue.

After WW2 The Netherlands purchased lots of MkII's. These were used by the Army in the then Netherlands East Indies (Indonesia) and the motherland in Europe.

Around the mid fifties these helmets were fased out and replaced by the Dutch M1 clone. The MkII's went to the Civil Defense Orgisation (BB) and were overhauled. New liners (metric size stamp on the cross strap, i.e. 57) and a new layer of paint. Either gray or tan, as is yours. The SA MkI's are rather scarce but not at all uncommon.

The liners, straps and further hardware are Dutch made and date from the fifties.

Nice helmet.

Cheers
    Emile

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2