Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Does the term "Brodie" only apply truely to ww1 Helmets?

Article about: I've seen a couple of sellers on ebay stating that mk2 shells are not to be misled as being called Brodies,so when did this stop/change,or is it just a term used within the collectors commun

Default Does the term "Brodie" only apply truely to ww1 Helmets?

I've seen a couple of sellers on ebay stating that mk2 shells are not to be misled as being called Brodies,so when did this stop/change,or is it just a term used within the collectors community,weird this game can sometimes be.............

I tend to think of WWI Tommy helmets as Brodies, to include War office pattern and MKI's though real pedants would probably only call the War office pattern a Brodie. I have got used to all Tommy helmets, including WWII MKII's being called Brodies and try not to let it bother me.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thats what i thought jerry,the continual shape stayed the same but personally i think its just being picky.they state it like its a totally differant type/shape Helmet.............

Jake,

Which is why if you notice I tend to use the term Tommy Helmet as I think that covers them from both wars prior to the introduction of the Turtle. Of course I also use the MK (I, II, III etc...) system, which then allows no ambiguity as to meaning or date/type.
    Regards,

Jerry

By a strange coincidence this example came up for sale today on the bay as a buy it now for £20.

A Civilian Grade Brodie Helmet dated 1942.

It was very cheap even with the iffy top bolt and perhaps a post war messed with respray, but if bad the price was less than the liner and strap would be worth and if good a bargain, but either way worth the £20 asked.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Does the term "Brodie" only apply truely to ww1 Helmets?   Does the term "Brodie" only apply truely to ww1 Helmets?  

Does the term "Brodie" only apply truely to ww1 Helmets?   Does the term "Brodie" only apply truely to ww1 Helmets?  

Regards,

Jerry

nice spot Anon!