Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Double flashed MK2

Article about: This maybe a Royal Sussex Regiment helmet , I’m not 100% sure on that though, the helmet is named and I contacted a guy at the West Sussex records office who couldn’t find any matches for th

?

I wonder?
    Attached Images Attached Images Double flashed MK2 

SMP
    ?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    I wonder?

Yes, I think you have probably cracked it.

The 2nd Battalion East Anglican Regiment can trace its lineage back to the defunct Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment . They retained the Black and Primrose colours .

SMP
    ?

A Beds And Herts Rgt cigarette case

I thought maybe Royal Sussex Regiment

Quote by SMP View Post
    Yes, I think you have probably cracked it.

The 2nd Battalion East Anglican Regiment can trace its lineage back to the defunct Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment . They retained the Black and Primrose colours .
    Anglian ie of Anglia.
    Anglican ie Anglican Church

I stand to be corrected but I thought it was 3 (not 2) East Anglian that was made up of The Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regt + The Essex Regt whilst 2 East Anglian was The Lincolnshire Regt and Northamptonshire Regt?

They were all amalgamated in 1964 with the Leicestershire Regt to form the three battalions of the Royal Anglian Regiment.

Just saying

I know nobody likes a smartarse but didn't want anyone to misled is all

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-11-2019 at 09:21 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

No concerns over the Mis spelling of the name/s?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    No concerns over the Mis spelling of the name/s?
    If you mean the Anglican thing it's not misspelled it's the wrong word altogether and as not all of us are native Enlish speakers it would really change things and could have a religious connotation is all. I wasn't being picky just correcting what could be a real misunderstanding if translated.

Same with the battalion number. I've seen very heated arguments over that kind of thing and from our perspective it might lead to an item being rejected as not authentic.

The common good and all that

Best

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

SMP
    ?

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Anglian ie of Anglia.
    Anglican ie Anglican Church

I stand to be corrected but I thought it was 3 (not 2) East Anglian that was made up of The Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regt + The Essex Regt whilst 2 East Anglian was The Lincolnshire Regt and Northamptonshire Regt?

They were all amalgamated in 1964 with the Leicestershire Regt to form the three battalions of the Royal Anglian Regiment.

Just saying

I know nobody likes a smartarse but didn't want anyone to misled is all

Regards

Mark
    Hi Mark,

Of course, you are correct. My mistake to use Anglican. Just typing too fast ( plus being a soft Southerner !)

WRT the lineage, I was referring to the modern regiment, not the 1964 regiment. It is actually only D company , 2nd Battalion that carries the tradition now:

In 1995, each battalion renamed its companies in order to perpetuate its lineage from the old county regiments.[20] The current structure is as follows:

1st Battalion, The Royal Anglian Regiment 'The Vikings'
    A (Royal Norfolk) Company
    B (Suffolk) Company
    C (Essex) Company
    D (Cambridgeshire) Company

The 1st Battalion operates in the light infantry role under 7th Infantry Brigade and is based at Woolwich.[21]

2nd Battalion, The Royal Anglian Regiment 'The Poachers'
    A (Royal Lincolnshire) Company
    B (Royal Leicestershire) Company
    C (Northamptonshire) Company
    D (Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire) Company

The 2nd Battalion operates in the light infantry role and is currently part of British Forces Cyprus (BFC), and is currently based in Dhekelia, Cyprus.[17]

3rd Battalion, The Royal Anglian Regiment 'The Steelbacks'
    1 (Norfolk) Company
    2 (Leicester) Company
    3 (Essex & Northamptonshire) Company
    4 (Lincolnshire) Company
    HQ (Suffolk & Cambridgeshire) Company

The 3rd Battalion operates in the light infantry role under 7th Infantry Brigade and Headquarters East and is based at Bury St Edmunds.[22]

Both the 1st Battalion and 2nd Battalion rotate as resident units in British Forces Cyprus.[23]

Hahaha,

" ( plus being a soft Southerner !)"

Methinks you know more about me than you are letting on, have we met?

So, 2 R.Anglian (The Poachers - from The Lincolns) rather than 2 E. Anglian that makes sense now.

Very early in my service I encountered an instructor who was from 2 R.Anglian his name was Mick "Stumpy" Kent and I have never forgotten many of the things he taught me.

I believe 3 R.Anglian used to be known as The Pompadours but it seems now they are The Steelbacks (from the Northamptons)

Glad my correction was not taken amiss couldn't have them mistaken for a battalion of padres

Best

Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2