Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Dutch KNIL helmet post war reissue ?

Article about: Hello, I have what I was told is a Dutch M38 helmet . I have been told that the there was never an official " M38" helmet designation but the KNIL model helmet is often referred to

?

Default Dutch KNIL helmet post war reissue ?

Hello, I have what I was told is a Dutch M38 helmet . I have been told that the there was never an official " M38" helmet designation but the KNIL model helmet is often referred to as the M38. What I have looks like a KNIL in shape but does not have the neck flap , no sign of ever having a front badge, and the helmet has a factory black paint. I always assumed it was a postwar reissue for police or other home defense unit. Anyone know the history or official designation of this helmet ? Is it a reissue or postwar mfg. ? Thanks

This is a Milsco helmet.

These helmets were produced in Milwaukee USA by Milsco for the Royal Netherlands East Indies forces. The Milsco was produced in two sizes: 1 and 2. This is a size 1. To collectors this helmet is known as the "M41 KNIL Milsco 1".

These helmets never had a frontal badge.

Milsco's were also worn by the Navy, during and after the war. After being declared obsolete they were then stripped, newly spray painted and new liners were installed. Used mostly by Civil Defense, Police and factory guards etc.

Your helmet was reissued to the Police in The Netherlands and worn until the late sixties. These helmets were not manufactured after the war. Actually only in 1941 in Milwaukee.

Cheers,
    Emile

?

Wow very interesting, never in a million year would I have thought a WWII era Dutch helmet would have been made in the US. Why on earth wouldn't the Dutch have made this themselves ? Would these be consider rare or uncommon ? Thank you for the very informative reply.

In 1941 The Netherlands were already occupied by the Germans, so that source fell dry. Also, the Royal Netherlands East Indies Army procured a lot of material from the US already anyway before the Japanese invasion of the Netherlands East-Indies in early 1942, like the Ford GP jeeps, Johnson M41 rifles and Millsco klewangs. Various aircraft such as the B-25, C-47 and Lockheed Electra were ordered by- and usually delivered to KNIL aviation units that managed to escape the Japanese by evacuating to Australia.