Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Early Canadian second pattern tankers crash helmet

Article about: I have been waiting some time now to add one of these early Canadian tankers helmets to my Canadian WW II head gear collection and have just recently acquired one in a trade with a friend. T

?

Default Early Canadian second pattern tankers crash helmet

I have been waiting some time now to add one of these early Canadian tankers helmets to my Canadian WW II head gear collection and have just recently acquired one in a trade with a friend.
    This particular second pattern tankers helmet would appear to be in unissued condition but has suffered a few bumbs and bruises do to storage and handling the interior of the helmet is nicely C-/l\ marked in two separate locations and is in the size of 7 1/4 .
    These helmets were constructed from cork and are covered by six panels of black painted canvas sewn together on the out side and six more panels of plain canvas sewn together on the inside.
    A canvas covered shock absorbing pad is attached to the front of the helmet flush with the rim there are three rubber grommets, one on either side and one in the rear, that are placed into the helmet for ventilation.
    On the interior of the helmet is a leather headband which has a khaki-colored cloth covered rubber strip which has been sewn in place forming a padding between it and the helmet. There are three web straps that have both ends attached to the walls of the helmet by stitching and glue to form loops that are attached together by a length of lace. There is a removable black leather headband that has ear flaps with laced pockets designed to hold earphones. There are four pieces of webbing, with loops to the ends, that can be laced into the web support for the helmet. two non-elastic chin straps are attached, one with a metal hook and the other with four metal hooking points for adjustment .
    These are all the images I have at the moment till the helmet arrives in the post once I have it in hand I will update the thread with a few more images.

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early Canadian second pattern tankers crash helmet   Early Canadian second pattern tankers crash helmet  

Early Canadian second pattern tankers crash helmet   Early Canadian second pattern tankers crash helmet  

Hi Mark,

She is a beauty! Good examples are hard to find nowadays.

I have one in my collection as well.

Is it made by Safety Shoes from Toronto?

Would like to see more photos.

Cheers!
    Taka

?

I think they made about 16,500 of these, nice to have the leather scrum(for attaching the earphones)

?

Thanks Taka and Aaron one of these bad boys have been a long time coming as soon as I get it in hand Taka I will have a good look at her and see what little secrets are hidden away from view such as a manufacturers stamp and or tag and post some more detailed images.

Regards Mark K

This is my one and only example. (Photos were taken in 2007)

The styrofoam was just for photo taking.

I got this back in 2007, and still in my collection.

Early Canadian second pattern tankers crash helmet Early Canadian second pattern tankers crash helmet

Early Canadian second pattern tankers crash helmet Early Canadian second pattern tankers crash helmet

Early Canadian second pattern tankers crash helmet

Regards,
    Taka

?

A beauty of an example Taka thanks for showing it looks near mint.

Regards Mark K

Thank you Mark.

One thing I notice about them is that they were never dated.

Here are two examples from Collector's Guild:

The Collector's Guild

The Collector's Guild

Regards,
    Taka

?

I havn't seen any dates on these either, but they were produced only by Safety Supply Co from 1941-43.

?

Thanx for that Aaron at least one can pinpoint this manufacture down to a certain time frame.

Regards Mark K