Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Early War MKII Named with removed Badge ?

Article about: Hello I get today this early war 1939 named MKII Helmet . Helmet has outside Slightly rough camouflage , and it looks like on the front are removed badge , do you have an idea ? . best regar

Default Early War MKII Named with removed Badge ?

Hello

I get today this early war 1939 named MKII Helmet .

Helmet has outside Slightly rough camouflage , and it looks like on the front are removed badge , do you have an idea ? .

best regards
    Michael
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early War MKII Named with removed Badge ?   Early War MKII Named with removed Badge ?  

Early War MKII Named with removed Badge ?   Early War MKII Named with removed Badge ?  

Early War MKII Named with removed Badge ?   Early War MKII Named with removed Badge ?  

Early War MKII Named with removed Badge ?  

A nice MKII, the scratches seem a touch high for the position of where a decal or painted insignia would have been, but anything is possible. As for what it could have been I have no idea as there is very little trace of anything remaining. Leon.

?

So you won it Nice lid!

Tony

Thank you for Opinions :-) .

I collect pieces from B.E.F. 1939/40 , are the painting and camouflage be from the period or later war ? .

And what mean the stamp on last picture ? "C in Arrow"

?

Colours on Brit helmets still confuse me however, I think the colour matches for early wartime. This sticky thread is a good reference mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

The C in an arrow is a quality control stamp which looks similar to the Canadian acceptance mark. See this thread British Mark 2C helmet (home guard?)

I agree with Leon...the scratches look high....they MAY simply be where someone has tried to remove an old auction label ('seen many of those...why ARE those things so sticky?) or even an old address label when they were placed in the mail. At least some idiot hasn't hit the date/makers stamp with Nitromors....why do they do that??? Nice lid.

That brings me to one idea : the Name in Helmet is "Lang" that is German Name . Maybe this is not the owner's name , but the "finder" ... German Soldier .
    He send the helmet home and the "Badge" on the front was removed address label .
    Find location was celler in germany .

Just one idea .

?

Probably more common in Germany but isn't Lang also a Scottish name? It'd be great if an address label was present no matter where it was posted to.

By the way, British army casualty lists for 39-45 show 222 men named Lang however, the same man will have been mentioned several times e.g. missing, POW, released etc., so it won't be 222 individuals named on the lists.

Thank you ynot for the informations :-) .