Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

A few more Home Front Helmets

Article about: Thanks everyone for the encouraging remarks and information – I have really enjoyed taking part in this thread - When I started collecting Home Front items (some 25 years ago), it was largel

?

Default Re: A few more Home Front Helmets

Thanks everyone for the encouraging remarks and information – I have really enjoyed taking part in this thread - When I started collecting Home Front items (some 25 years ago), it was largely because I was always short of money (not much change there!) and they were usually dirt-cheap, as no one else wanted them – wish I had the room to buy more at the time now! Most of this collection has been in store or on display at a local museum (now sadly closed) and I have only recently started unpacking some of the boxes and have been having a sort out.

Thanks Tinlid for all the info – and Joseph - I totally agree re the Zukerman – and that was exactly why I bought it – I had just been talking with someone who lived through the Manchester Blitz and told me the tale of a young Fire Guard volunteer she knew – he was only 15 and had been on the roof of one of the big mills when it was hit – they found him two streets away, nearly naked, but with hardly a mark on him, like he was asleep – The blast had killed him instantly.

Thanks too to NCA for the info on the NFS helmet – makes you wonder how it found its way to turn up on a car-boot in Lancashire!

My final photos for this thread are of the uniform that came with the “District Warden’s” helmet – seem to recall paying £6 for the lot - it was quarter of my wage at the time so I must have really wanted it! All the buttons are Liverpool ARP marked and it is complete with trousers, military issue "police" collarless shirt and braces! - I only found the tie in the pocket tonight when I photographed it! Does the silver braid signify anything other than possible vanity! I guess it has quite a story to tell as Liverpool was certainly hit hard.

NCA
    ?

Thumbs up Re: A few more Home Front Helmets

These things do turn up in odd places...my NFS helmet is for Preston fire force and i also got mine at a car boot sale..in Norfolk!

Lovely uniform.Looks like he did service in the great war(the medal ribbons).Is it named?
    The three silver stripes are for a regional officer*i think*.

?

Default Re: A few more Home Front Helmets

Thanks NCA - Yes it is named and dated - See Label below - I managed to find a nice period wooden hanger for it today and on checking, the braces are dated 1942, but the collerless shirt seems to be 1961! Now I think about it, I seem to remember getting a parachute pack, for one of my ejector seats I used to have, that was stuffed with RAF shirts, so it must be one of them.

A few more Home Front Helmets

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3