Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FG civilian protective helmet

Article about: here's a new pickup to show and to add alongside my SFP example its my understanding this name change happened post 1942 or there abouts so it was my intention to have both ,strangely they a

Default FG civilian protective helmet

here's a new pickup to show and to add alongside my SFP example its my understanding this name change happened post 1942 or there abouts so it was my intention to have both ,strangely they are both size M and maker stamped VMS and 1941 of which im still to learn who this maker is also it has a simple cloth chinstrap as my first although the paint finish is slightly different ,the liner lace is most certain period to the shell as its tied in a black bow on the inside as opposed to the exterior bow on my sfp but as you can see faded to almost white on the exterior the FG is present both front and rear FG civilian protective helmetFG civilian protective helmetFG civilian protective helmetFG civilian protective helmetFG civilian protective helmetFG civilian protective helmetFG civilian protective helmetFG civilian protective helmetFG civilian protective helmet
    Regards James

Nice I like both of them.

?

A nice pair of CPH's, as of August 1941 the fire guards replaced SFP's, which makes the SFP quite hard to find.
    I wonder if the VM is for Vauxhal Motors, & the S is in fact an 8 for August the 8th month. Can you have an closer look to see if it is.

Nice helmets. Zuckerman helmets are rather under appreciated in my opinion.

Fire Guard - YouTube

Nice pick up James. They came without the liner being fitted and without a chinstrap, therefore there can be variations in how the liner is fitted and the form of the chinstrap.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Congrats James although I have always thought the Zuckerman's to be one of the ugliest helmets ever produced right up there with the US CD issued variation but they have there place in history and are an essential piece for any British Headgear collection.
    And as mentioned by Douglas they are highly under appreciated which does still leave them quite affordable in the market place .

Regards Mark

?

Hi James, very nice example , I have two of these myself, but neither are in as good a condition as yours.

I have a WW2 newspaper which features these type of helmets for sale ,I cannot remember how much they were back then.. I will try and dig the newspaper out ,it might be quite fun to see how these helmets have risen in price since the 40's

'it might be quite fun to see how these helmets have risen in price since the 40's'

Not by very much, I suspect. They probably cost less in real terms now than they did then, inspite of them being historically significant helmets!

?

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    'it might be quite fun to see how these helmets have risen in price since the 40's'

Not by very much, I suspect. They probably cost less in real terms now than they did then, inspite of them being historically significant helmets!
    That is a good point, I paid £1.00 for one not that long ago, good for us collectors I suppose!

thank you Aaron ive looked closer and you are right the so called S is an 8 my sfp example has VM followed by C ,well it looks like a C so vauxhall motors sounds favorite im now wondering if opel were manufacturing a similar helmet in germany superb link douglas so thanks for sharing thanks gary ,if you get chance could you post up what youve got im interested to view them and of course see if they have any interesting stencilling thanks also mark your right though there not deemed the most desirable so great for the collector on a budget ive often thought the same for the luftschutz helmet as a bit of an odd looking lid ,and thank you Jerry ive learned something new today about the post purchase liner fitment and it also explains the variations between my two crikey id be hopeless i can barely tie my shoe laces let alone a zuckerman helmet liner
    Regards James

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast