Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

French WWII helmet?

Article about: Thanks yes its getting colder here hate it. I’ve just tried something, the helmet shell doesn’t attract a magnet which means it must be made from manganese steel i think! Yet the brackets on

Default Re: French WWII helmet?

Thanks yes its getting colder here hate it.
    I’ve just tried something, the helmet shell doesn’t attract a magnet which means it must be made from manganese steel i think! Yet the brackets on the shell do attract a magnet which means they are mild steel. The clips seam to slightly attract a magnet which makes me think they are made from a poor quality stainless steel because the magnet wont stick to my stainless steel sink in the kitchen.
    Mind you i only have a fridge magnet to try them with.
    Best regards
    Rod

Rod, Same here. Shell has no magnetic attraction. And just like your example, the liner brackets are magnetic and the clips too but to a lesser degree. What about the comb on top of the helmet. Surprisingly, my example is magnetic. And the rim around the helmet shell too. Kind of odd mix of metals. All the German shells in my collection are magnetic. US shells are not. NH

Thanks Neil
    Your correct yes my rim and comb do attract a magnet aswell. That is a strange mix on metals. These might be handy tips for new collectors in years to come when they start faking these.
    I notice a brodie doesn’t attract a magnet either but its rim does. Yet my Zuckerman does attract one.
    The M1s must have good quality stainless rim compared to brodies.
    Our clips on the liners must be original then, unless someone tells us different. I couldn’t find any information on these.
    Nice lid by the way, mines is missing its badge.
    Thanks and all the best
    Rod

Rod, I see pieces all the time at the big local show here in Allentown. I think you can get an RF badge for your helmet and replace it. NH

I will keep an eye on ebay something will turn up eventually even these are faked its unreal this hobby. There’s no shows near me unfortunately.
    Its a pity really as I would say someone has took it off recently, another will never match the same because it looks like mine has been repainted a long time ago when the original badge was on it.
    Did you look under the felt to see if you had any other makers marks like where mine are.
    Thanks
    Rod
    French WWII helmet?

British army are Tommies are said to be made of a non magnetic steel so they do not affect a compass, whilst home front Tommies and Zuckermans are not, as they do not need that capability, as far as I understand these things

Nice lid by the way, a WWII Adrian would be a good helmet to have IMO.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I was under that understanding as well Jerry about the compass problem.
    I was quite surprised that the rim of the brodie attracted a magnet at all, kind of defeats the purpose of going to the trouble of making the shell non magnetic. It was a 1939 helmet I tried perhaps the later ones got better.
    Thanks for the input
    Rod

Hi Rod, from information provided by a member here, tinlid I think it was, that the early war issues were for civilian use and the armed forces used the MKI* which were refurbished WWI shells with the MKI or MKII liner inserted and only later issues were to the army spec. The early civilian issues do not have the holes in the brim to show they do not meet military standards as that comes in a bit later. Not an expert on this so I might have this a bit wrong as I am still learning the intricacies and nuances of the Tommy helmet. It does seem odd though that it has a non magnetic shell and a magnetic rim. There are supposed to be a good book or possibly two coming out about these helmets at some time in the future.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2