Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Glider pilots helmet

Article about: This HCDR (helmet, crash, despatch riders)are quite hard to find as they were the first type of proper crash helmet for the DR's. So for me was a big plus, but even bigger is the A.M. stamp

?

Default Glider pilots helmet

This HCDR (helmet, crash, despatch riders)are quite hard to find as they were the first type of proper crash helmet for the DR's. So for me was a big plus, but even bigger is the A.M. stamp inside the liner for Air Ministry.
    Of course the A.M. could have had an contract to supply their own DR's with the HCDR & would have had them stamped with the A.M.
    But photo's of training GP's clearly show them being used by the pilots, I should think they were ever only used in training & not on combat missions.By the time that the pilots saw action they would have been issued the proper GP helmet that we know.
    Until further evidence comes to light I'm pretty sure this helmet & ones stamped with the A.M. were for the Glider pilots.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Glider pilots helmet   Glider pilots helmet  

Glider pilots helmet   Glider pilots helmet  

Glider pilots helmet  

Default Re: Glider pilots helmet

Cool lid and a nice bonus the AM stamp, and as you posted it might have been for DR's or glider pilots but sadly you will probably never know which is the case with this example.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

very nice tinlid

?

Great find Aaron, as Jerry points out, the AM stamp is a bonus

Brad.