Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hand made DPM cover

Article about: Hi fellow collectors, I bought this Hand made DPM cover recently from a car boot sale and at that time was not aware what type of Helmet is was designed to fit but as it was stupidly cheap I

?

Quote by 37Webbing View Post
    How strange, yet interesting.

Looks like a near perfect fit.

For how long did the British army (territorial and regular) use the Mk5 helmet?

Thanks it is a weird one, the Mk5 was worn right up to the introduction of the Mk6 in about 1984. And probably after that date,in fact a close friend joined the British Army in 1985 and was issued one of these himself

Quote by Opex View Post
    Thanks it is a weird one, the Mk5 was worn right up to the introduction of the Mk6 in about 1984. And probably after that date,in fact a close friend joined the British Army in 1985 and was issued one of these himself
    Not surprising to say the least...
    In Denmark we used the M1 and M1 Euro-clones up until the early 1990s.

But it is indeed a weird one.

?

Nice catch Gary not seen anything like this myself but hey ho could have been made by any keen squaddie!!. Also I joined the Army in 87 & we were wearing Mk6's... Cheers Terry

?

Quote by Tango View Post
    Nice catch Gary not seen anything like this myself but hey ho could have been made by any keen squaddie!!. Also I joined the Army in 87 & we were wearing Mk6's... Cheers Terry

Thanks Terry, I have no idea what so ever?

Could be a kid's project from back in the day,or a squaddie made piece I really do not know, but again for 50p and the fact it fit's a Mk5 it's all good buddy.

My mate was in the D&D like yourself I believe, and a couple of years before you joined, he informed me his JNCO used to whack him on head with said helmet on because he liked the ringing sound it made????? Weird but true.

Kind regards Gary

?

Quote by 37Webbing View Post
    Not surprising to say the least...
    In Denmark we used the M1 and M1 Euro-clones up until the early 1990s.

But it is indeed a weird one.
    That's handy to know, I have a couple of Danish M1's in my collection, great helmets

?

Probably about right Gary some fruitloops in the D & Ds lol... Good going for 50 pence you couldn't buy a can of pop for that price.. Cheers Terry.

?

Let me pose a question to you gents that served time in the British armed forces I have noticed just about every time an unissued piece of kit is shown that there is a great who-pa-pa that it could not have been used by a squady as it would be considered unacceptable is there no improvising aloud at any level even while serving in the field or are regulations that tight and strict,
    I seem to remember seeing images of privately made British Desert DPM field coats and trousers allowed to be used during the first gulf war and Afghanistan at a squad level.

Regards Mark

I think alot comes down to who you serve with, with guards units and line Regt i think having very strict dress regs for clothing worn about camp where units like the RE,REME,RLC have less strict dress regs ,The other thing with the British Army in the late 80s and early 90s was alot of the good items like Gortex and Bergens,Smocks etc werent issue items so had to be brought so you see alot of photos from that time of a real mix of clothing being worn ,its a bit different now days as most of these items are issue but you will still always get that guy who wants to spend all his money on the best kit on the market

?

Quote by Tango View Post
    Probably about right Gary some fruitloops in the D & Ds lol... Good going for 50 pence you couldn't buy a can of pop for that price.. Cheers Terry.
    Hi Terry,from what I hear that sound's about right , I have heard some very odd experiences when my mate was based in Germany, and was harassing the East German troops, and one of his oppo's dropping his SLR over the side of a boat into a lake etc,I have said time and time again he should publish his experiences. Cheers Buddy

?

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Let me pose a question to you gents that served time in the British armed forces I have noticed just about every time an unissued piece of kit is shown that there is a great who-pa-pa that it could not have been used by a squady as it would be considered unacceptable is there no improvising aloud at any level even while serving in the field or are regulations that tight and strict,
    I seem to remember seeing images of privately made British Desert DPM field coats and trousers allowed to be used during the first gulf war and Afghanistan at a squad level.

Regards Mark

Very good point Mark, there was a lot of irregularities in kit usage

- - ------- - -

Quote by kradman View Post
    I think alot comes down to who you serve with, with guards units and line Regt i think having very strict dress regs for clothing worn about camp where units like the RE,REME,RLC have less strict dress regs ,The other thing with the British Army in the late 80s and early 90s was alot of the good items like Gortex and Bergens,Smocks etc werent issue items so had to be brought so you see alot of photos from that time of a real mix of clothing being worn ,its a bit different now days as most of these items are issue but you will still always get that guy who wants to spend all his money on the best kit on the market

Well said, really good explanation

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2