Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet Help

Article about: I picked this up several years ago at a flea market without knowing anything about it and I'm sure I did not pay too much for it. I would appreciate any information on it as helmets are not

?

Default Helmet Help

I picked this up several years ago at a flea market without knowing anything about it and I'm sure I did not pay too Helmet HelpHelmet HelpHelmet HelpHelmet Helpmuch for it. I would appreciate any information on it as helmets are not my field.Many thanks, Dave

?

Looks American to me, but others will have an exact idea what it is.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Looks American to me, but others will have an exact idea what it is.
    Yep, looks like an M1917A1 (upgraded WWI helmet) which was the immediate predecessor of the M1 but it looks to have the horsehair filled pad missing from the crown hence the hole where there should be a bolt. Otherwise a fine lid.

Regards

Mark

PS I should say that the bolt is what secures the liner assemply to the shell and the pad is tied to the liner frame with a leather lace but it isn't visible in the pics which is why I assume it is missing along with the bolt.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-27-2017 at 08:31 PM. Reason: extra info
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

MAP
    ?

Just adding a bit of visual to what Watchdog said...

M1917A1 - The Brodie Helmet and its derivatives

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks guys, quick work as usual Dave

Yep, that's sure a re-worked US WW1 helmet, just missing the nut and bolt for the later upgrade as mentioned. Leon.