Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

helmet help please

Article about: Greetings all,I was told this was a U.S. helmet when I purchased it a couple of yrs. ago[\\$75usd] and that it was 5th divison marked,limited in knowledge I thought it was 6th divison,but now

?

Red face helmet help please

Greetings all,I was told this was a U.S. helmet when I purchased it a couple of yrs. ago[$75usd] and that it was 5th divison marked,limited in knowledge I thought it was 6th divison,but now I think it is a British lid but can't find what the marking is..all confused and frustrated,please help.
    Attached Images Attached Images helmet help please  helmet help please 

Default Re: helmet help please

The helmet is cetainly British/Commonwealth. Look at the liner. The markings should be on one of the four bands.

The insignia I don't recognise from the small pic. But it is not US 5th or 6th Divs.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    The helmet is cetainly British/Commonwealth. Look at the liner. The markings should be on one of the four bands.

The insignia I don't recognise from the small pic. But it is not US 5th or 6th Divs.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hello Ade,good to hear from you..I thought you would pick up on this,the markings are 7&1/4 veroII 1941..I'll post a close up of the insignia,Thanks for the info..Cheers mate!
    Attached Images Attached Images helmet help please 

Hi, glad you found the markings. Sorry the insignia still does not ring any bells with me.

Cheers, Ade.

This seems to be an Air Raid Precaution helmet. The two holes near the chinstrap posts signify a sub-standard helmet.

On ARP helmets one can encounter 1, 2, 3 or 4 holes.

The star on a red field is unknown to me.

Have a look at this link on ARP helmets.

A.R.P. Helmets

Cheers,
    Emile

?

Ade,thanks once again for your input,I was thinking of maybe searching Irish markings..three other helmets I have are of the same background but no star,they were id'd by a forum member.Cheers mate! And to Emile,nice catch on the holes and thanks for the link..I've been there before id'ing another helmet stumper.. a fire watcher lid,odd shaped with the strapping around the bottom of the dome..here's a pic & one of the irish helmets..Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture helmet help please  
    Attached Images Attached Images helmet help please 

?

Sorry,it is not a firewatcher helmet,it is an auxiliary fireman

?

Just found out the helmet/markings in question is Irish from the Curragh Command,1940s,in 1941/42 the Irish army introduced formation badges,it would have been worn from the 1940s-mid 50s until it was changed.