Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Helmet Id

Article about: Hi, It's a standard MkII, it has MkIII chin strap lugs so would be post Feb39, the liner is a MkI so dates that 37-39. The date should be by the chin strap lugs or front or rear of the helme

?

Default Re: Helmet Id

Hi,
    It's a standard MkII, it has MkIII chin strap lugs so would be post Feb39, the liner is a MkI so dates that 37-39.
    The date should be by the chin strap lugs or front or rear of the helmet on the inside rim.
    Nice helmet
    Aaron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet Id   Helmet Id  

Helmet Id   Helmet Id  

Attached Images Attached Images Helmet Id 

Cannot find any markings on the rim or near the strap post's, just the red size 7 on the liner.

z4
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet Id  

It's a Mark II.

Sometimes the maker code and the date are at front/back, often quite high up so partially obscured by botton of liner.

British maker codes include BMB, JSS, F&L, RO&Co, WD.

Canadian: AG/C, CL/C, and G.S.W.

These are just a few of the most common.

Merry Christmas, y'all.

PG

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Hi,
    It's a standard MkII, it has MkIII chin strap lugs so would be post Feb39, the liner is a MkI so dates that 37-39.
    The date should be by the chin strap lugs or front or rear of the helmet on the inside rim.
    Nice helmet
    Aaron
    Hey Aaron! That last picture of the F&L stamp...is that on a MkII or III? I ask because I have a MkIII stamped very much the same by F&L.

Dale

?

Hi Dale,
    it's on a MkII, I did ask you on the MkIII thread if you could show your MkIII with the F&L stamp. That's got to be very rare.
    All the best, Aaron

Is F&L (Fisher and Ludlow Ltd.,Birmingham) a scarce maker?

Just asking.

Does anyone have any production figures for the various helmet manufacturers?

PG

?

Hi,
    F&L is quite a common name in helmet production, it's always been thought that they made helmets up to 42, but as you can see on the previous pictures they made them up to at least 44. That's why it would be interesting to know if they also made the MkIII, as that started production in 43.
    I don't know how many each manufacture made but from 38-43 they made 12 million.
    Aaron

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Hi Dale,
    it's on a MkII, I did ask you on the MkIII thread if you could show your MkIII with the F&L stamp. That's got to be very rare.
    All the best, Aaron
    It may be rare but I'm not getting my hopes up. It is in pretty bad shape paint-wise on the outside...a bit better on the inside. The only big difference with the F&L compared to a BMB or RO Co. shell is the larger chinstrap lug rivets.

I have a heavily scrimmed net on the helmet right now so these are pics I took of it shortly after I got it a few years back. One of these days I'll take the net off to take some closeups of the rivets and rim seam.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet Id   Helmet Id  

Helmet Id  

?

Great, thanks for showing it again
    Aaron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2