Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet ID Help Needed

Article about: Hi. I have recently come into possession of a helmet. It has no markings on it at all, I was wondering if I could have some help identifying a nation, time period, model anything really but

ReRetail
    ?

Default Helmet ID Help Needed

Hi.

I have recently come into possession of a helmet. It has no markings on it at all, I was wondering if I could have some help identifying a nation, time period, model anything really but because I dont know what it is I didn't know what section to post under, can anyone advise me as the best place to do this?

Thank you ever so much,
    Katie

Reg
    ?

Default Re: Helmet

HI Katie

The surefire way to get a quick ID is to pop a picture of it onto this thread, a few pictures will help along with any other features that the pics dont show.

Im sure then one of the moderators will post it into the appropriate forum, they're a knowledgable bunch and will probably tell you all about it in the first post.

All the best

Reg

P.S If pics are a problem jsut type as much description of shape, colour etc and we will have a go....

ReRetail
    ?

Hey,

Thanks very much for your reply, I have never done this before so I hope this works!

Thanks ever so much for your help in advancedd guys, anything you know would be great.

Katie

Reg
    ?

Hi Kate

Cheers for the pics, this is a ww2 auxilliary helmet, issued to nurses, drivers, electricity repairmen etc in Britain during ww2, there are quite a few about, I think this design was made by several manufacturers, some have chinstraps, Odly enough its quite a popular chioce with medeval battle re-enactors as it looks a little like a 1400s type of helmet. Value would probably be about ten to twenty pounds.

Hope this helps.

Reg

Default Re: Helmet ID Help Needed

Hi Katie, welcome to the forum!

Please see this thread for some more info:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/helme...el-helmet-819/

Cheers, Ade.

ReRetail
    ?

Thanks ever so much for your help. It's really interesting.
    I have noticed on the underside of the helmet there are very feint markings which read: PO & CO 9/41 do you have any ideas what this means?
    I could hazard a guess at 41 being the year but other than that....!

Katie

Hello Katie,

The militaryhelmetcollectors forum on Yahoo has a list of makers of this helmet, that is called officially "helmet, civilian worker" or more commonly the "Zuckermann" after it's designer.

Cheers,
    Emile

JSS - Joseph Sankey & Sons (Birmingham)

PSC - Pressed Steel Co., Cowley, Oxfordshire

AMC - Austin Motor Company

BMB - Briggs Motor Bodies

ROCo LTD - Rubery Owen (separate rim piece?)

EC&Co - E. Camelinat & Co Ltd (Birmingham)

C&Co, could this be an incomplete Camelinat stamp??

M MOR ? - upturned rim

VM ? upturned rim

KH ?
    WA?

MPB?

Hi Katie,
    As said before also in Ade,s attachment it is a Zuckeman helmet
    ie, fire watcher helmet. the man who designed it was a ministery man called Solly Zuckerman, he designed it in 1941, they were for
    civilian workers only and never used as a combat helmet. The public could buy them as self and home defence, and the money for them went to the war fund. They were never issued or sold with a strap.
    Dave.