Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Helmet RAAF MKII 42

Article about: G'day All, What do you reackon the ER means? emergency response?

?

Maybe whatever ER unit it is, they did it that way. But finding another to verify that may be a tad hard.
    Really nice anyway.

Electrical Repair perhaps
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Nice Mk II Rene I have been on the hunt for an Aussie example for a couple of months now to add to my own commonwealth collection and would gladly display this example on my shelf top notch .
    As to the flash being applied to the front instead of the left side all though very uncommon this is not unheard of and I have seen a couple other examples over the years all though they were Canadian Mk II's it still points to the fact that period applied examples can be found in this configuration.
    The ER is a bit of a mystery but as previously mentioned there are a few possibilities to consider and mull over.

Regards Mark

Maybe it belonged to her majesty?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Errand Runner.

"That'll be two bacon and egg wads, one with the crust, and a billy of milky tea.....ya drongo!"
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Cheers Guys we may never know

Hi have a south african helmet sourced in South Africa with a similar flash which has had me wondering over it.
    Did not know what it was, and now that I see yours I think this one could be a S.A.A.F. flash.
    I have read that there was a Desert Air Force (DAF) comprising forces from RAF, RAAF, SAAF and USAAF
    Flash is on the left side, what do you think of it ?
    Many thanks uin advance for your replies

Helmet RAAF MKII 42Helmet RAAF MKII 42Helmet RAAF MKII 42
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet RAAF MKII 42  

Certainly a very nice and not common helmet! Cheers for showing

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Certainly a very nice and not common helmet! Cheers for showing
    Thank you for your appreciation René.
    I know it is only speculations but what do you think of the idea of this helmet belonging to South African Air Force ?
    It was found in South Africa, it does not look repainted green over sand for the italian campaign, most likely a lid that never left SA.
    Opinions to pin down the origin of the painted flash are much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Paolo

When I was in ZA I did encounter a few helmets and could bring home a couple of WW2 types! I'd say it's SAAF 95% for sure and this outstanding one still could have been issued overseas!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast