Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Helmet South African WW2 ETO Broadie

Article about: by reneblacky G'day All, I'm posting this whilst on holidays in Johannesburg. I bought this helmet today and is very interesting because the original owner has place a hankie for sun protect

Default Helmet South African WW2 ETO Broadie

G'day All,

I'm posting this whilst on holidays in Johannesburg.
    I bought this helmet today and is very interesting because the original owner has place a hankie for sun protection. Should I cut it to see the liner and date?

I love it when I walk into Blunderbuss (Jo'burg) I get shocks - a bloody US .30 cal mg on the counter operational! (me being Aussie we don't see this type of thing back home)

Ps those of you who enjoy Dragon action figures - Cape Town, Castle of Good Hope gift shop has them for SAR350 (AU$48) bloody cheap

?

Default Re: Helmet South African WW2 ETO Broadie

For me the hankie just adds to the helmet Rene and I would let it be should be able to get an approx date of manufacture and country of origin from the helmet construction and the liner.

Best Regards Mark K

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    For me the hankie just adds to the helmet Rene and I would let it be should be able to get an approx date of manufacture and country of origin from the helmet construction and the liner.

Best Regards Mark K
    Cheers Mark K

Nice helmet Rene. I concur that it should be left as is. The hanky certainly adds character to the piece! Jim G.

?

Rene there are two holes drilled in the front of the helmet and from the photos that you show I can see a bit of a paint drip on the bottom side they would appear to have been there since production any thoughts on why they are there ?

Regards Mark K

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Rene there are two holes drilled in the front of the helmet and from the photos that you show I can see a bit of a paint drip on the bottom side they would appear to have been there since production any thoughts on why they are there ?

Regards Mark K
    The three holes are for a neck flap (rarely used) and a trait of South African helmets

Didn't some South African tommy helmets have some sort of chain link veil attached sometimes? I don't know much at all about these, but seem to recall reading that some time in the past. I think that the holes are in the front of the helmet, since the hanky would be on the rear of the helmet to shield the soldier's neck from the sun.
    Jim G.

?

I did not notice the third hole gentlemen it is partly covered by the hankie Intresting thought Jim on the chain link veil I will have to see if I can find some period photos to look at the neck flap would have been used for a sun shield Rene ?

Regards Mark K

?

The 3 holes were intended for a neck flap, but the flaps were either never made or never used.
    The chain mail that your thinking of Jim might be the ones from the first WW, tank crews wore them to stop shrapnel flying off the inside of the tanks when hit.
    Like most have said I would leave the hanky in there, looks like it's been there some time.
    Aaron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet South African WW2 ETO Broadie  

Nice Picture Aaron, and I think you are right, now that you say that, I probably was thinking of the WWI tanker helmets. Jim G.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast