Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Helmet South African WW2 ETO Broadie

Article about: by reneblacky G'day All, I'm posting this whilst on holidays in Johannesburg. I bought this helmet today and is very interesting because the original owner has place a hankie for sun protect

Default Re: Helmet South African WW2 ETO Broadie

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    G'day All,

I'm posting this whilst on holidays in Johannesburg.
    I bought this helmet today and is very interesting because the original owner has place a hankie for sun protection. Should I cut it to see the liner and date?
    That's a really nice example of a helmet if ever there was one, and I love the personal touch of the hankie

You probably could take the liner out without disturbing the hankie by undoing the nut carefully. I'm sure with light finger pressure through the hankie from inside, you could re-attach it too. For some reason South African helmets always seem to have their nuts on upside-down

Rob

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    That's a really nice example of a helmet if ever there was one, and I love the personal touch of the hankie

You probably could take the liner out without disturbing the hankie by undoing the nut carefully. I'm sure with light finger pressure through the hankie from inside, you could re-attach it too. For some reason South African helmets always seem to have their nuts on upside-down

Rob
    Cheers Rob

I'm going to have to leave it as is (damn mystery though) if I muck with the bolt it will screw the original paint.
    This helmet still has to travel with me to Singapore then home to Melbourne!

Quote by tinlid View Post
    The 3 holes were intended for a neck flap, but the flaps were either never made or never used.
    The chain mail that your thinking of Jim might be the ones from the first WW, tank crews wore them to stop shrapnel flying off the inside of the tanks when hit.
    Like most have said I would leave the hanky in there, looks like it's been there some time.
    Aaron
    Cheers Aaron
    Are these SA soldiers? lovely shot regardless

?

Cheers Aaron
    Are these SA soldiers? lovely shot regardless
    It's Egypt 1940 or so it says, don't think there English soldiers as the boots & gaiters are not ones that I recognise. Maybe Australian/Newzealand?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    It's Egypt 1940 or so it says, don't think there English soldiers as the boots & gaiters are not ones that I recognise. Maybe Australian/Newzealand?
    Gaiters look Aussie, I have a pair of these wool ones. very nice to see

Cheers Rob

I'm going to have to leave it as is (damn mystery though) if I muck with the bolt it will screw the original paint.
    This helmet still has to travel with me to Singapore then home to Melbourne!
    Ok leave it alone then. You could always get or borrow an endoscope camera, you know, the long cord medical camera they shove up someone's arse to look inside

Rob

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    Ok leave it alone then. You could always get or borrow an endoscope camera, you know, the long cord medical camera they shove up someone's arse to look inside

Rob
    When I get home I may cut a split in the middle to see what the go is?

I looks like the hanky has shifted from the back to the front,
    so it may not matter if you shift it around a little.

Nice find Rene.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Nice one Rene,
    You had to go a long way to get that one Mate
    I was going to comment on the flap on the wrong side too,but they didnt use the holed side anyway,so it really doesnt matter.
    Cheers Mick

Yeah the former owner has glued the hankie in as well

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast