Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Helmet from Tarawa

Article about: That is a very nice gruping you have there...

Default Helmet from Tarawa

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this board but I would like to share a collection I got recently. It came from a Marine, Pvt. Joseph Lobianco that was in the 2nd Marine division on Tarawa. He was wounded in the head but survived. He passed away two years ago and I purchased his relics. He kept everything. In the lot I got 4 full uniforms, his medals including Purple Heart, Victory medal and Asia-Pacific theater medal. His Purple heart papers, many pictures of his unit and himself. His foot locker, 3 garrison caps, extra patches. His selective service card, Marine ID card, mess card, turtleback card and a couple of other cards. Two books the Legacy of the Purple Heart which has an entry for him and the History of the 2nd Marine Division. His duffle bag, sewing kit, Overcoat, mess kit and a picture drawn by a Japanese POW he was guarding in Hawaii after he recovered from his wound. It's an amazing collection. I am including a picture of the helmet. I'll include more pictures of the rest of the collection later.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet from Tarawa  

Default Re: Helmet from Tarawa

Welcome to the forum and that is very cool can you post pics of the rest of the stuff. - Nick K

?

What you listed with helmet shown is a very nice acquisition.
    SteveR

As requested here is some pictures of the rest of the stuff I got from Cpl. Joseph Lobianco's estate. He was a Private when he was shot at Tarawa. They also have a bunch of Photographs they are supposed to give me that were in albums. They wanted to take all the family photos out before they gave me the WW2 photos. I hope they come through with those. I hope I did these pictures right.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet from Tarawa   Helmet from Tarawa  

Helmet from Tarawa   Helmet from Tarawa  

?

nice grouping could i get some better pic's of the helmet with the bullet hole & the liner with the writing on it ?

Fantastic Group ! I'd like to see better pics of the helmet and liner too. Thanks

Wow thats really cool! - Nick K

Hey "Mountaineer" and "NickD" here are some more pictures of the Helmet and the liner.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet from Tarawa   Helmet from Tarawa  

?

thanks Gneagle the complete helmet has an early fiber liner & is very nice indeed but the liner on its own is 1960's version so im not sure what that's doing in there with that writing over it ???

That liner was with all his stuff. He owned a convenience store and had all that stuff set up like a mini museum. Or at least that's what his relatives told me. Had everything marked. I have no idea where he may have gotten the liner. I never actually saw the set-up. I never went in his store until after he died. It was an old timey store/house combo.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast