MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with ID of British helmet.

Article about: Nice, thanks for sharing! If only these things could talk...

Default Help with ID of British helmet.

Hello all!

I bought this helmet more than 10 years ago at a local gun show. From what I remember, it was incredibly cheap.

Can anyone provide me with any additional information on it? Is it authentic? Is the camo paint authentic or is it something the vendor did to raise the price on it?

Sorry for the poor quality pictures. I'll take better pictures if necessary...

I am a high school history teacher and have brought it in along with a few other helmets in my modest collection for my students... It was a tense situation as a handful of my students aren't always exactly the best behaved. With that being said, sharing the helmets with them was a hit and I'll continue to do so for years to come.

What do you guys think?!

?

Default Re: Help with ID of British helmet.

Looks to be a standard early WW2 British issue helmet.

The helmet looks to have been repainted from it's original colour, ... possible a lighter shade for Desert use ?
    .. By the lining type and screw fixing for the liner, it should date between late 1939, and approx middle of 1942 ..
    (There might be a date stamped into one of the cross over pieces of the liner inside.)

Also, there seems to be a hole punched in the rim, .. is there another hidden by the strap in the picture ?? .... as this might point to South African production).

Cheers

Gary J.

Hi Gary! Thanks for the prompt reply!

Do you think the paint job is period to help camouflage a soldier in a desert/ Mediterranean area? Or did the man at the gun show try to repaint it to squeeze more money out of gullible chumps like me?

Yes, there is another hole punched into the rim. Were the holes punched into this helmet to attach some sort of sun shade for a soldier's neck... or maybe some sort of mosquito net or camo?

There is something stamped into the interior of the helmet under the liner. The liner is very dry and makes horrible CRUNCHING noises when I try to move it out of the way... let me see if I can take better pictures.

Two holes:

Inside of helmet:

Stamping:

Looks like it says: 7. FFL. II. 1944?

Is there anything I can do to better take care of this helmet? Any way to improve the liner... or should I just leave it alone?

?

Great ! a Date .... 1944 ... Mk II
    FFL ... Fisher & Ludlow Ltd in Birmingham.

As for the paint and liner ... probably best left "As is" ..
    The paint under the liner looks to be the absolute original, .. but in the "field", helmets could see many repaints as to where used.

Cheers

Gary J.

Awesome! Thank you so much for your help, Gary! I'm glad to know that I have the Real McCoy!

What does the 7 mean? Is that the size of the helmet? It is SO small on my head.

Is there anything to be known about this particular type of helmet/ maker? I believe I paid about $25 for it years ago... it was a lot of money for a kid in middle school, but I'm hoping I made a good investment. Do you have any idea as to how much it's currently worth?

?

7 is the size ....
    Basically you have a geniune WW2 British helmet, and $25 wasn't too bad a price on reflection ...
    ... (They haven't increased in value greatly, unless there is some direct history, or specific unit markings to the helmet .. which yours hasn't unfortunately.)

I'd leave it as is ..... probably now $40 - $60 USD worth ..

Regards

Gary J.

Thank you so much! I will continue to display it proudly and share it with my students.

I owe you one!

?

Yes, the liner is British and the shell is RSA made (MkI* helmet).
    Piotrek

So the steel pot is an MK I and was made in South Africa while the liner is for an MK II and was made in Birmingham, England by Fisher & Ludlow Ltd?

If I'm understanding this correctly... is it normal to have MK I shells with MK II liners?

Why does the steel pot have two holes punched into the brim? Is there anyway to tell what company made the helmet in RSA?

?

You quite often see these SA helmets with Brit liners in, not sure if this was done during the war or post war.
    These helmets were used quite a lot post war by various countries, so you will see them with a mix & match of liners.
    The paint is more than likely post war too.
    Mine has a British liner in as well, VERO 1944. Aaron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with ID of British helmet.   Help with ID of British helmet.  

Help with ID of British helmet.   Help with ID of British helmet.  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast