Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Help ID Helmet

Article about: I useually stick to the German forums but I have picked this helmet up along the way and would like to have ID'ed. Thanks to all of you in advance!

Default Help ID Helmet

I useually stick to the German forums but I have picked this helmet up along the way and would like to have ID'ed. Thanks to all of you in advance!
    Help ID HelmetHelp ID HelmetHelp ID HelmetHelp ID HelmetHelp ID Helmet

Default Re: Help ID Helmet

Looks to me like a standard WWII British Army helmet.

There should be markings and date impressed on the liner.
    The strap has been altered, and the screw head at the
    top seems strange - normally these are convex
    and painted green like the lid.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 01-21-2011 at 10:39 PM.
    Regards,

Steve.

The shell is Fisher & Ludlow, Birmingham, 1940.
    As Walkwolf says the liner should be marked.
    Chinstrap ???

Cheers,

Pat

?

Nice looking Fisher and Ludlow, well dated with what appears to be a near mint liner, however the chin strap could have been replaced, the date for the liner will be either printed or embossed on the front cross strap of the liner, you may have to lift the black cushion pad in the dome of the helmet to view clearly, regards Dave

nice mk 2 helmet...

I have looked for the markings that yall are speaking of gents and I do not see any. The only other mark that I have been able to find was a large #7 in the middle of the liner inside the helmet. I have had the helmet for some time and it was bought at a flea market years back. The strap may be a replacement but I feel that it was probably period due to the even wear as shown on the rest of the helmet. I am not an expert but welcome a history lesson from the experts.

?

Thats unusual not to find a date mark , as for the 7, that should be the size, if theres a date it will be on one of the cross straps, normally the front but check all four, if you havent done so already lift up the black foam rubber pad carefully on each cross piece and follow each one along its whole length.it might be very feint to see

Quote by davejb View Post
    Thats unusual not to find a date mark , as for the 7, that should be the size, if theres a date it will be on one of the cross straps, normally the front but check all four, if you havent done so already lift up the black foam rubber pad carefully on each cross piece and follow each one along its whole length.it might be very feint to see
    I attempted to do this but all I was able to see was a letter "B" and a circle with an arrow through it. The rubber looks good but is very brittle and I am afraid if I push it too much it will damage it. I have a gun show where some local collectors I trust will be this weekend. I may just take it up there to see what their better trained eyes than mine can see in person. Thanks to you all.

?

Yep I like it a lot
    Aaron

NICE !