Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Help identifying a helmet please...

Article about: Hi, this is my first post here so hopefully i'm not breaking any rules... I'm returning to the hobby of militaria collecting having enjoyed it when I was a teenager (pocket money medals and

?

I have double checked the rims and there is definitely no markings anywhere...

?

Any thoughts on value? As I said i'm a newby to collecting these things so not sure if what I paid was too much.

?

The body cannot be Canadian as it has Mk.III lugs which were never used with Canadian made Mk.II helmets.
    Roger

?

There is still the question of the helmet body and the components if no manufacturers mark can be found on the shell and or liner it is going to make dating this example and affixing a value rather difficult as these are all key factors in determining when and were it may have been used is the helmet body magnetic this may offer a further clue to it's lineage.
    I myself am leaning towards this being a postwar produced and used CD Mk II possibly by the Netherlands or Belgium to name a couple .
    I do find the chinstrap rather interesting and I am having a hard time pegging it down it does appear to be a later add on as it does not match the condition of the helmet looks much newer to me.

Regards Mark

In the fifties all MkII's in Dutch military use were relegated to the Civil Defense organisation. Refurbishment meant: new liner, new paint job and putting it all together again, using whatever parts availalble.

The Dutch had British, Canadian, South African and home made MkII's. The colour is typical for the Dutch CD organisation, as is the unmarked liner. Dutch made shell's are easily recognised by the marking in the rim, i.e. VB 55 or VB 56 and a few steel batch numbers.

Cheers,
    Emile

?

Thank you Emile I as well would have thought the helmet body would show some form of manufacturers stamp and steel lot batch number .

Regards Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2