Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

help strange helmet

Article about: hi all can u help.? have had in my posestion a steel helmet panted black with the letters m.f.t in white on the front the inside is white and has a leater liner,have a arp hat and is quite s

CMc
    ?

Default Re: help strange helmet

That's not a bad suggestion, it could be the helmet of a factory air raid warden, fire warden or similar, with "MFT" being the abbreviated name of the factory. It does look quite like the black helmet that ARP wardens wore, except theirs would say "ARP" on the front, so that could indicate a similarity of purpose.

?

I have one with the letters P.F.T which has been driving me mad for years trying to find out what it means. The problem is each company of any size had its own ARP people and they all had different lettering peculiar to that company but those that worked there would know what it meant also to begin with there was no standardisation in paint or markings in the 12 Civil Defence regions until July 1940 so it could be just peculiar to that region.

ian
    ?

lovely links and great info but no MFT there

ian
    ?

i recolect in my distant memory some thing about a canadian tractor manufacurer with the same enitials ??? i dont remember with any clarity
    might be worth a google

?

wow what a great bunch of people now i have more of an idea.
    only paid a fiver for it a few weeks ago so am quite happy .
    all the best nick.

CMc
    ?

I take it you're referring to Massey Ferguson Tractors as well, but unfortunately I don't think it could be. Massey-Harris Tractors, of Ontario, Canada, and Ferguson Tractors didn't merge until 1953 (I knew Fergie were independent until sometime in the '50s, but having just checked the year was definately '53.) Ferguson were of course the makers of the world famous TE20 tractor, or the 'Little Grey Fergie', which was exported all over the world and is still in service in a surprising number of places. But as I say, they weren't Massey Ferguson Tractors until 1953, so if this is a wartime Air Raid Warden's helmet, it wasn't from there.

Opppps....read the post wrong AGAIN!

Hi jelley,
    Nice find either way if you never find what it means, you have a good helmets there as said most were owned by manufacturing firms they all ahd there own initials on them. Usually the date stamp and makers mark are on the arm of the liner ie, BMB 1940 ect, nice display piece good hunting for more.
    dave.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2