Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Home Front RAF MKII Helmet.

Article about: Hi guys, just thought I would share my latest Home Front arrival. Not as exciting as the Observer Corps helmet, but still a nice complete 1940 dated MKII grade 3 lid! Leon.

Default Home Front RAF MKII Helmet.

Hi guys, just thought I would share my latest Home Front arrival. Not as exciting as the Observer Corps helmet, but still a nice complete 1940 dated MKII grade 3 lid! Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Home Front RAF MKII Helmet.   Home Front RAF MKII Helmet.  

Home Front RAF MKII Helmet.   Home Front RAF MKII Helmet.  

You seem to have the bug for Brit lids Leon, well done. Dumb question but why is this RAF? Because of the colour?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Jerry, well that's what I want it for, I think the RAF used black and tan helmets too, but I wanted a blue one! Leon.

?

As it's not a military grade helmet (Mk2No.1) I doubt if it was used by the RAF.
    Mk2No.2 B,C,D, all came factory finish grey.

Thanks for that Tinlid, so if I wanted to get a true RAF blue helmet at some point I would need to find one without the "holes" in then? Forgive my ignorance as I am a Third Reich collector as a rule, I am fine with German helmets/decals etc, but this Home Front gear is a new venture in which I need to learn a lot!! Leon.

Its a very nice home front helmet, but yes you need one without the holes.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    As it's not a military grade helmet (Mk2No.1) I doubt if it was used by the RAF.
    Mk2No.2 B,C,D, all came factory finish grey.
    Which is why I asked Leon. I have previously heard that both the RAF and the RN used homefront lids for home front use but I have not seen any evidence for this.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

As a rule the armed services were issued the same helmet with textured paint to the outside, & khaki in colour from 1938-41/42.
    No doubt some of these might well have been repainted black or battleship grey for the navy, & blue for the RAF.
    & as this picture shows were Mk2 No.1 ( grade one helmets) with smooth black paint, while some of the others seem to be textured under the black.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Home Front RAF MKII Helmet.  

Quote by tinlid View Post
    As a rule the armed services were issued the same helmet with textured paint to the outside, & khaki in colour from 1938-41/42.
    No doubt some of these might well have been repainted black or battleship grey for the navy, & blue for the RAF.
    & as this picture shows were Mk2 No.1 ( grade one helmets) with smooth black paint, while some of the others seem to be textured under the black.
    Thanks for that Tinlid, a great piece of information, cheers, Leon.