Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

How do I tell what constitutes a combat helmet?

Article about: So to clarify, the helmet, being a 6 and 1/4, could be for both women and men, and might have been unissued due to lying about in a regimental stores...I can live with that :>) tinlid, I

Default Re: How do I tell what constitutes a combat helmet?

Quote by davejb View Post
    nd1959, firstly welcome to the forum, you will enjoy it here, secondly you may be looking for the wrong type of helmet, your looking for a brodie style ie flat brimmed, the type that is synonymous with British troops of the period, but you stated that your father was a despatch and outrider throughout the war, these riders invariably wore a completely different style of helmet, similar in style to the Airborne troops helmet minus the purpose built airborne liner, the DR helmets had a liner that had a flap that covered the ears and part of the nape of the neck and came under the chin and was secured by a buckle, similar to that of a pilots leather helmet, if you google or search the forum i think you will find what i believe will be the type your looking for
    Beat me to it! Damn my two fingered typing!

?

Here's some pics of a despatch riders helmet, this type is the most common.They did make them post war so always make sure it's stamped on the inside leather a date from 42-45.
    Here's also some pics of the normal soldiers helmet the MkII.
    Aaron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How do I tell what constitutes a combat helmet?   How do I tell what constitutes a combat helmet?  

How do I tell what constitutes a combat helmet?   How do I tell what constitutes a combat helmet?  

How do I tell what constitutes a combat helmet?   How do I tell what constitutes a combat helmet?  

?

How do I tell what constitutes a combat helmet?How do I tell what constitutes a combat helmet?Sorry davejb I didn't make myself clear, my uncle was a dispatch rider and I have seen one on ebay, which if i can upload the piccies I will show you the one I am looking at. He also was seconded to the Canadians whilst in France and he also drove trucks, here I assume that he would have had a Brodie or MKII, although I am unsure of the difference. At the end of the war, he was training would-be truck drivers, although he managed to get himself off this, as it was dangerous due to the poor standard of driving displayed by the newbee drivers and the wet cobbled roads in the German city at the time.

Whilst I would love a dispatch rider's helmet, I also want a normal combat helmet...greedy aren't I ;>), hence me asking about the other style of helmet.

?

That look like a great mint WW2 DR helmet

?

Well i think Aaron has given you the type you should be looking for, the mk11, but you need to realise theres no guarantee that the helmet has seen combat

?

Cheers TinLid, I have asked the seller for a side-on piccie so I can post that. Unfortunately, i can't work out how to send or copy off ebay. I am assuming that at the price Brit helmets seem to be going for (£40-65) they are unlikely to be repro's, as I would have thought the cost of producing the repro would be more than they would get on ebay? Are there many copies of brit helmets out there? At present I am trying to go up a steep learning curve very quickly, so only dipping my toe in so if I get a copy it won't be too expensive, so, so far, I have bought just a 1941 backpack (dated and with the MOD arrow), and a Small Arms Manual.

?

Hi Dave

Yeah, unless you know the preson selling it, then I guess it would be nigh on impossible to know if it has seen combat, especially if I follow the maxim buy the item nt the story :>). I suppose at the end of the day, being a history buff and with the war ending only 14 years before I was born, I find this period not just interesting but genuinely moving, to think these lads were going through that only a few short years before I appeared. Factor in my uncle's war tales; the usual Band of Brothers; war films that we were all bought up on and my interest is peaked. Consequently, as long as the helmet was issued to a combat soldier, even if it never saw combat, then I would be happy with that. At present I am trying to get a feel for prices, not just helmets, but all artefacts, and then to see where it takes me.

Aaron, thanks for the pictures, the DR helmet I have seen looks to be more grey than khaki greem although this could just be the picture itself, but were there different colour schemes?

?

Hi, DR helmets from 42-44 were khaki green colour then at some point in 44 they went over to dark brown. Para helmets changed in 43 I think it was, so did the MkII.
    Whichever helmet you buy always try & get one that is well marked with the date & maker if possible, most shells are dated around the chin strap lugs, most liners are always marked, normally on the cross over straps of the liner.
    Notice this 39 dated MkII, it's quite a lighter shade than most, they did have trouble getting the colours due to shortages.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How do I tell what constitutes a combat helmet?   How do I tell what constitutes a combat helmet?  

How do I tell what constitutes a combat helmet?  

?

Further to the two photo's of the liner and date that I sent previously in the thread, here are photo's of the outer shell...

How do I tell what constitutes a combat helmet?How do I tell what constitutes a combat helmet?

NCA
    ?

The name 'Brodie' is more commonly heard for describing british helmets from the world war 1 period, named after the man who designed them.
    Mk2's are the classic helmet worn in ww2.
    As far as i know there are no outright repros made(apart from liners)..most of what iv'e seen in that respect have been refurbished with a new paint job and liner.
    Have a good read through the helmet threads on here.Lots to learn..it wasnt so long ago i was asking which way round a mk3 was worn!

Are you in the UK?Car boot sales sometimes come up trumps...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast