Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Information about brodie helmet

Article about: I think it was only British Mk2's that had the holes to donate sub standard helmets. 1 hole: Mk2 No.2A Manganese steel rejects factory painted black. 2 holes Mk2 No.2B mild steel strip, grey

Default Information about brodie helmet

Hello guys.

I'm new on this forum and need your help with an item I recently purchased, a brodie helmet.

I'd be happy if you provide me some informations about it, with photos posted below.

Information about brodie helmetInformation about brodie helmetInformation about brodie helmetInformation about brodie helmetInformation about brodie helmetInformation about brodie helmet

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Information about brodie helmet

This is a ww2 brodie helmet made in canada in 1942 by General Steel Ware and Aluminum goods !! Not a rare helmet but a nice original piece the style is an MKII

Thanks for replying.

Do you think it was used by the canadian military (or maybe ARP or wardens) on the war?

Another doubt; Do you know what does it mean the 3 holes on the rim that some brodies have (mine don't)?

Thank you again!

The 3 holes on the rim, or 2 or 4, show that the steel was not good enough be used as a front line helmet and would go to ARP, or home guard etc...
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thats true, but sometimes front line civilian services received military grade helmets without the holes. This example dosn't have them and has army coloured paint, I would of thought it was military issue.

The 3 holes are found on non military helmets for ARP, Police, Fire Services etc-it indicates lower quality steel used to make them-military helmets were made with non magnetic steel to avoid affecting prismatic compasses held close to the head when being used by the soldier.

?

You may find this of some interest some information pertaining to the production of GSW 1942 shells
    ( GSW DP&H helmets have spot welded chinstrap lugs. Your helmet has the rivetted lugs which makes it combat grade. These were used for civil defence purposes as well, but this is the easiest way to tell the two apart. There was a batch of 1942 GSW combat shells that did not pass inspection and were used for civil defence. If I remember correctly, the batch code on them was AP.
    (Credit for this information goes to mk 1rceme)

Regards Mark K

?

Or did you mean the 3 holes at the rear of the helmet, this would be the South African Mk2.

I mean the 3 holes forming a triangle.

Quote by HYGILI4K View Post
    I mean the 3 holes forming a triangle.
    then as I posted earlier, showing the steel was not good enough for combat use.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast