Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting Canadian 1941 dated G.S.W Mk II

Article about: Gents I recently acquired this 1941 G.S.W it is sporting a 41 dated VMC I liner in a size 7 3/4 (which I might add is the largest size I have ever seen in a VMC liner ) plus with the chinstr

?

Default Interesting Canadian 1941 dated G.S.W Mk II

Gents I recently acquired this 1941 G.S.W it is sporting a 41 dated VMC I liner in a size 7 3/4 (which I might add is the largest size I have ever seen in a VMC liner ) plus with the chinstrap being nicely C-/l\ marked all and all turns this into a pretty decent helmet and even though I have a couple of examples already in my collection .
    This particular Mk II still intrigued me as it has been brush over painted in an olive green and is very much like my 42 C.L./C. which is over painted in a shade of tan I am quite pleased to be able to add it to my collection and believe it was one of the known colors that was adopted by the Canadian Army while serving overseas during WW II .
    The last image is my 1942 C.L./C. for comparison

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting Canadian 1941 dated G.S.W Mk II   Interesting Canadian 1941 dated G.S.W Mk II  

Interesting Canadian 1941 dated G.S.W Mk II   Interesting Canadian 1941 dated G.S.W Mk II  

Interesting Canadian 1941 dated G.S.W Mk II   Interesting Canadian 1941 dated G.S.W Mk II  

WOW!

Great complete matching example, congrats!

Interesting to see new dented helmet in the B/W photo.

Thank you for sharing, Mark.

Cheers!
    Taka

?

Thanks Taka I found it an interesting example as to the image I do not think they are new helmets I believe they belong to active soldiers and were being hand painted in the field .

Regards Mark

They look crispy new in the photo.

I first thought they were freshly arrived and needed to be painted immediately.

Regards,
    Taka

?

I think they are getting a second coat or perhaps a touch up as they look very flat in color for a factory painted Mk II would be interesting to know a few more details behind the image.

Regards Mark

Nice Helmet.

Interesting how many 7 3/4 VMC liners seem to be out there - especially compared to British made ones where 7 3/4 seems to be quite uncommon. (Or maybe its just me )

?

I have never seen a VMC liner this large before I must live a sheltered life LOL .
    I think the next largest one in my collection is a 7 5/8 would be intresting to know what the largest size is that they produced.

Regards Mark

Interesting photo Mark.
    Here's my recent purchase.
    Canadian GSW MKII with rough repaint inside and out over original factory finish. Liner FFL dated 1943

Interesting Canadian 1941 dated G.S.W Mk IIInteresting Canadian 1941 dated G.S.W Mk II

?

Interesting helmet and yours is not the first Canadian Mk II I have seen with reworked paint and a British liner with a Mk III chinstrap who can say for shur how long the liner and the chinstrap have been in this Mk II for but from the look of it I would have to say they have been in place for sometime any chance on sharing the year and the steel lot number from your Mk II as I am trying to catalog steel lot batch numbers and how they correspond with manufacturer production dates.

Regards Mark