Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting textured finish on a Mk II helmet

Article about: Gentlemen I would appreciate your opinions on this Mk II rough texture finished helmet I purchased last night . I really like the chinstrap and the liner which according to the seller is C-b

?

Default Interesting textured finish on a Mk II helmet

Gentlemen I would appreciate your opinions on this Mk II rough texture finished helmet I purchased last night .
    I really like the chinstrap and the liner which according to the seller is C-broad arrow marked but do to the finish it is impossible to make out the manufacture or the date code.
    I have been looking at images of Mk II for a few hours and I am still undecided on the finish is it possibly late war or of the Korean era or other
    Any thought's would be most appreciated these are the only images I have at the moment .

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting textured finish on a Mk II helmet   Interesting textured finish on a Mk II helmet  

?

Hi Mark,
    The shell looks like a British Mk2, but the liner looks like a Canadian one (rubber buffers up higher on Canadian liners)
    The Brit Mk2's were painted dark brown textured paint from about 41ish, then at some time after or about the same time they were painted textured inside as well. I know during the 50's they were refurbished with post war liners & the textured paint similar to this one.

?

Thanx tinlid it looks to be textured on the inside as well and I do agree it looks to be a Canadian Liner from the images and the limited info I have at the moment are you leaning towards it being a messed with helmet or a post war refurb?

Regards Mark K

?

I would say the shell is a post war repaint, liner could be Canadian, or British with the rubber buffers round the wrong way.
    Let us know what you find when it comes.

?

I will most certainly do so I was hoping it to be of the Korean war era would make a nice addition to my 49-pat PPCLI BD that I am refurbishing to a Korean war vet I know.
    Edit:The price was very reasonable thought I would take a chance on this one and role the dice

Regards Mark K

?

Here's a few pictures of a Brit Mk2 refurbished post war sometime in the 50's. This one is easy to tell it has been done post war as the shell is an early Mk2 which would have been painted smooth inside.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting textured finish on a Mk II helmet   Interesting textured finish on a Mk II helmet  

Interesting textured finish on a Mk II helmet   Interesting textured finish on a Mk II helmet  

?

Thanks for the additional info and images I find there is not a lot of info on the world wide net about the refurbished post war Mk II it was only advertised as a textured Mk II so I will be ripping her down once I get it in the post regardless I think it will make a nice addition to my Canadian commonwealth collection as long as it all checks out under further investigation.

Regards Mark K

?

The helmet arrived in the post today and as earlier stated I ripped her down to have a closer look at all the components Imo it is a early post war refurb of a war time Mk II the liner is plainly marked with a C-broad arrow stamp and size stamps of 7 1/8 in three separate locations it is void of any manufactures mark or date code's on the liner.
    Of interest is a Canadian government acceptance code stamp on the chin strap which was not put in use until the late 40's or early 50's and is found on many P-49 battle dress tunics and trousers of course it is only speculation at this point but I feel it has a good chance of being refurbed for use in the Korean war

Regards Mark K

Interesting textured finish on a Mk II helmet   Interesting textured finish on a Mk II helmet  

Interesting textured finish on a Mk II helmet