Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

just a zuckerman

Article about: Hi mates, here is a PSC example from 41, got it from my grandfather when I was a kid. Any Ideas what the "L" stands for? Cheers! Mads

Default Re: just a zuckerman

thanks tinlid can you tell me the liner says MM 41 -7 im just wondering what the 7 stands for and is the maker common it looks to be vmc i think ,any info would be great cheers james

Nice example as well James. I think the 7 means it was made in July 1941
    Ok I have another question.
    Does anyone have any idea what the holes on the front and back of the rim might be for. It seems strange that they would go to the trouble of punching two holes for no apparent reason. And there does not seem to be any mention of them in tinlids instructions.
    Do all Zuckermans have this feature.
    I know they put holes in reject brodies
    Regards
    Rod

?

I don't know what the initials MM, VM stand for but they do pop up quite often, the holes to back & front of the helmet are for transport reasons I believe, in stacks of 10 & tied together.
    Aaron

Makes perfect sense to me Aaron a good explanation.
    Thanks
    Rod

I've never seen one with a lip on the inside like that nor have I seen one with the paper label inside. It's probably just a different manufacturer, as it doesn't have the same markings as most I've seen.

Check this out.
    WW2 BRITISH COCKERMOUTH CUMBERLAND URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL ZUCKERMAN STEEL HELMET | eBay
    And its not me selling mine.
    Identical label , identical place and information.
    That answers my question they must have been sent to these places to be issued to others.
    Season’s greetings
    Rod

I don't know what the initials MM, VM stand for but they do pop up quite often, the holes to back & front of the helmet are for transport reasons I believe, in stacks of 10 & tied together.
    Aaron]
    Vauxhall Motors/Morris motors ? possibly.

Here's interesting thing. What can you tell me about it?

This is a comparatively ordinary British-made Civilian Protective Helmet (aka Zuckerman) shell as refurbished and reissued by the Netherlands in the post-WW2 period. It has a Dutch--made liner, rivetted in as we might expect.

What it also has, as you see, is a crown badge attached to the front. After a certain amount of research we here at the HSFHS feel certain that this emblem is what is known as the Tudor, or Imperial, crown (Tudor Crown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) , and was used by the British Empire, and subsequent Commonwealth territories between 1902 and 1953. Which makes its presence on a Dutch helmet somewhat baffling.

See also - "The King's Crown (KC), also referred to as the Imperial Crown or Tudor Crown. An insignia device current with the reigns of Edward VII, George V, the uncrowned Edward VIII, and George VI: i.e. the period 1901-1953"

Millitary Insignia Collector's Glossary and Abbreviations

As you can see from the second picture, the helmet has been neatly drilled to accept the emblem; also, the bent metal wires appear to have been formed into loops, which makes us suspect that the crown may have had some sort of brooch-like fastener originally.

Obviously this may be a one-off for specific individual reasons. That is what I expect. But someone somewhere may know differently...

just a zuckerman

And referring back a message or two, the initials stamped under - or very occasionally on top of - the brim are indeed the manufacturers, and in the Wikipedia article on the Zuckerman you will find an incomplete list. NB - helmets from different makers may well differ in details! "Just a Zuckerman", indeed!
    Last edited by Greg Pickersgill; 12-19-2012 at 04:20 PM.

I think it is part of the 2 part rank insignia of a British staff sgt. This rank wears a crown above the usual 3 stripes.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5