Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Helmet -- WW2 or Korea?

Article about: Hello all, Quick question regarding an M1 helmet. Specifically, I am trying to figure out if the 3rd Infantry Division marking shown below was likely made during WW2 or the Korean war. My co

Default M1 Helmet -- WW2 or Korea?

Hello all,

Quick question regarding an M1 helmet. Specifically, I am trying to figure out if the 3rd Infantry Division marking shown below was likely made during WW2 or the Korean war. My confusion is stemming from the fact that it has fixed bales, stamped 22B, and front seam, which seems to indicate early WW2 period, but the 3rd ID marking seems.... bigger than what I would expect. Any thoughts on if that marking was more likely applied WW2 or Korean War would be greatly appreciated.

?

Hi Mate,
    Nice helmet , Id be keen to know what others think of the markings .
    They were in West Germany in the late 50's early 60's .
    Im always dubious of helmets with stuff like this on them, not yours in particular , just all of them in general.
    Cheers Rick

It seems to have been painted over after WW2 (most likely late 1950's), so the marking might be from around that era too.

Thanks for the replies, all. Just out of curiosity and for my future reference, am I right in assuming that WW2 markings like these were typically smaller than later wars/periods of service, or am I completely off base there?
    Last edited by cough cough harrumph; 01-11-2020 at 11:45 PM.

?

Quote by earlymb View Post
    It seems to have been painted over after WW2 (most likely late 1950's), so the marking might be from around that era too.
    That makes sense and was my line of thinking as well .
    Cheers Rick

Quote by cough cough harrumph View Post
    Thanks for the replies, all. Just out of curiosity and for my future reference, am I right in assuming that WW2 markings like these were typically smaller than later wars/periods of service, or am I completely off base there?
    I think that is correct.