Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1, low number helmet

Article about: Just wondering if this is an official number or if one digit failed to appear when stamping. The stamped number is 120C but there is a gap between the 1 and the 2 which leads me to believe a

?

Default M1, low number helmet

Just wondering if this is an official number or if one digit failed to appear when stamping. The stamped number is 120C but there is a gap between the 1 and the 2 which leads me to believe a digit didn't get stamped. It's a front seam but the seam is not stainless. I always thought this was applied to helmets after 1943. The batch number on this would make it 1942.
    Attached Images Attached Images M1, low number helmet  M1, low number helmet 

?

Posting the entire helmet would help. Looks like it is very possible there could be a one in between, that would make it 1120C.
    Regards,
    John

I’ve looked into these before. And have read that there was a four week production run of front seam Manganese steel rimed helmets produced, where the total proof of that is I have no idea. The number on this helmet below is 1?12B. note it too has very lightly stamped 1 and the second digit is missing all together, same as yours. Also this is a front seam manganese rim, not stainless.
    Are your bales made of stainless steel or are they also manganese steel.
    There is a M1 sub section above.
    Rod
    M1, low number helmet

?

They are manganese, not stainless. So i'm not going crazy then? Perhaps that 2nd digit from the production run broke off before thousands of helmets were produced with this anomaly. That story about the 4 week production is plausible. Thanks Plumbob.

Quote by denfly View Post
    They are manganese, not stainless. So i'm not going crazy then? Perhaps that 2nd digit from the production run broke off before thousands of helmets were produced with this anomaly. That story about the 4 week production is plausible. Thanks Plumbob.
    Thanks for letting me know I find that interesting, that helmet I show also has manganese made bales so there is a good chance they were both made around the same time, pity that second digit is missing. I have seen a couple of other front seam manganese rimed helmets but unfortunately there heat stamps were unreadable.
    happy hunting
    Rod

Many oddities occurred during any transitional period,front seamed with steel rims,rear seamed with stainless and so on,agree with John on heat stamp,steel Bales were ready at the end of 44 so official dates could be a little off,either way makes collecting more entertaining.