Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1 Steel helmet identification

Article about: Hi everyone, I just brought this M1 helmet at a local auction today. Can anyone help me out with establishing a date and some information for it? Annoyingly its got a few sizeable dents in i

Default M1 Steel helmet identification

Hi everyone,

I just brought this M1 helmet at a local auction today. Can anyone help me out with establishing a date and some information for it?
    Annoyingly its got a few sizeable dents in it!

Thanks
    Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Steel helmet identification   M1 Steel helmet identification  

M1 Steel helmet identification   M1 Steel helmet identification  

M1 Steel helmet identification   M1 Steel helmet identification  

The liner is dated 71 or 77 (hard to tell) and it has a Mitchell pattern camoflage cover.

As to the shell, it doesn't look like the normal Vietnam era green, and plus I think I see what looks like a West German flag on the side of it. Would need to see the side of the helmet better to say for sure.

But overall, its a Vietnam ish era liner, with a vietnam era camoflage cover.

Shell is Belgian post-WW2 production and liner possibly too, headband is US made dated 1972 and the cover is a Mitchell-pattern one as used from the 1950's-1970's. Does the liner have a mark in the dome? Any marking on the brown side of the cover?

Thank you, the liner does have a mark in the dome, its a bit faded so i can't get a picture of it, but i can make out the letter 'ABL' The cover does have some writing on it, i will attach a picture.

Picture of cover:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1 Steel helmet identification  

Oops, i stand corrected. Belgian shell. The liner is certainly belgian too in light of the ABL marking.

ABL = 'Algemeen Belgisch Leger', the Belgian army indeed so both shell and liner are Belgian-made. The cover is US with a contract date dated early 1965. Does it have 2 deeper cuts between the 'fingers' on either side for the shell chinstraps?

Yes, I believe so. Thank you

- - ------- - -

Thanks for all the help everyone, shame its not a proper Vietnam era m1, but its not bad for what it cost

Please don't take this the wrong way Matt,but yes you probably purchased this set at quite a low price however there is no substitute for the real thing and that i'm afraid come's at a premium.i might being releasing a set if interested!like a say not having a go just my opinion.