Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

M1917 Kelly Helmet: From the Fall Of The Philippines: 20th Air Base Group

Article about: Hey guys, Here’s an interesting find I picked up. An M1917 Kelly Helmet: From the Fall Of The Philippines: 20th Air Base Group. Was not too interested in this helmet because of condition. Bu

Default M1917 Kelly Helmet: From the Fall Of The Philippines: 20th Air Base Group

Hey guys,

Here’s an interesting find I picked up.

An M1917 Kelly Helmet: From the Fall Of The Philippines: 20th Air Base Group.

Was not too interested in this helmet because of condition. But, it was only $35. So of course it followed me home. It’s an original British WW1 shell marked “FS”. Interesting that it has remnants of a leather chinstrap.

I noticed the liner is marked “20th Air Base group” quick google searched I turned up this:

“The 20th Air Base Group is a disbanded unit of the United States Air Force. It was part of the Far East Air Force, during World War II. The group was based at Nichols Field, in the Philippines. It surrendered to the Japanese in the spring of 1942.”

Interesting piece of US history, definitely from a darker time. This items just screams history to me!

Well enjoy!
    -Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1917 Kelly Helmet: From the Fall Of The Philippines: 20th Air Base Group   M1917 Kelly Helmet: From the Fall Of The Philippines: 20th Air Base Group  

M1917 Kelly Helmet: From the Fall Of The Philippines: 20th Air Base Group   M1917 Kelly Helmet: From the Fall Of The Philippines: 20th Air Base Group  

M1917 Kelly Helmet: From the Fall Of The Philippines: 20th Air Base Group   M1917 Kelly Helmet: From the Fall Of The Philippines: 20th Air Base Group  

Nice helmet. Too bad the liner is in such despair but if the back story is true it really doesn't matter much. I would have it in my collection.

Burt

Quote by milmuseum View Post
    Nice helmet. Too bad the liner is in such despair but if the back story is true it really doesn't matter much. I would have it in my collection.

Burt
    My thoughts too! Condition is poor. But, the history is great!

I know this post is about a year old now. But if you still have the helmet and would consider selling it please let me know. My uncle was in the 20th air base group and never made it back home.